Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Paulo_Costa
Regular Visitor

Multi-user collaboration on a pbix

Hi,

I am relatively new to Power BI and would like to know if it is possible to co-author a pbix file (as I believe that it is better to create reports on the Power bI desktop app rather than on the Power BI Service). I know that you could add collaborators to a workspace (with appropriate permissions) once the report has been published to the Power BI Service, but as far as I understand any changes made online are not applied to the pbix on the desktop app.

I wanted to confirm if it is advisable/possible to work on a pbix that is stored on SharePoint, and if this would allow multiple collaborators to work on the file (not necessarily at the same time).

Any advice on the above or best practice would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Paulo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Paulo_Costa Generally the way that I have seen this work best is to separate the data model from the report development so that one person works on each. So, in a PBIX file, create your data model with no report and publish to the Service. Then, create a second PBIX file and connect to the published Power BI dataset in the Service. Create your visuals in that report. This separates the duties of the data modeler from the report developer allowing both to occur in parallel.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Paulo_Costa Generally the way that I have seen this work best is to separate the data model from the report development so that one person works on each. So, in a PBIX file, create your data model with no report and publish to the Service. Then, create a second PBIX file and connect to the published Power BI dataset in the Service. Create your visuals in that report. This separates the duties of the data modeler from the report developer allowing both to occur in parallel.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Paulo_Costa ,

Multiple Users can work on a same file if it is shared in Sharepoint. But the file is not directly editable in sharepoint. It has to be downloaded and opened with Power BI Desktop.

Post modifying the report this has to be uploaded back to the SVN replacing the earlier file. But be aware, I would not recommend this as this involves high possibility of losing the changes if multiple users work at the same time.

Instead the same approach of sharing the file with multiple users by downloading in their desktop app can be used provided the file is placed in some version control tool that gives you possibility to lock the file being modified.

FYI, here again PBIX is not editable directly and hence will have to be opened with Desktop app post downloading it

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.