Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CalebR
Resolver I
Resolver I

Moving pages in large report

Hello,

I have a report that is over 150 pages long. It has all of our branch stats and then it lists out each employee for the branch on a separate page and shows their stats. We have new employees a lot and I need to add pages and put them in their branch grouping of pages. I am finding that this is near impossible and incredibly annoying to do. Anytime you duplicate or add a new page it adds it to the end of the report. I then have to drag the new page over and scroll a ridiculous amount of times to get it in the right place. Is there any way around this? Seems insane to me that powerbi would not have a pages pane where you can more easily reorganize your report similar to the visual selection pane. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
CalebR
Resolver I
Resolver I

For anyone who stumbles upon this in the future and wants an actual answer. The quickest way ive found to do this is to click and hold on the page you are trying to move, move it slightly, then use tab / shift +tab to move amongst the pages. You can shift tab all the way back to where you want the page to go and then drop the page in there. 

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
CalebR
Resolver I
Resolver I

For anyone who stumbles upon this in the future and wants an actual answer. The quickest way ive found to do this is to click and hold on the page you are trying to move, move it slightly, then use tab / shift +tab to move amongst the pages. You can shift tab all the way back to where you want the page to go and then drop the page in there. 

Stuki
Frequent Visitor

Hi @CalebR ,

I really like your suggestion - and it would be a massive and hassle saver - but I can't get it to work like you describe. 

I've tried clicking and holding the page tab, slightly moving it (like @lbendlin said), then (whilst still holding it) pressing down on Tab or Shift + Tab. It then scrolls to the right / left, but regardless how it scrolls I can only get it to move one tab at a time. Can you spot what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Yeah that is the unfortunate part... 😕 You can still only move one tab at a time. There is not a way of moving a chunk of tabs to a certain spot as far as I know. This is just simply an alternative to having to click and drag a tab over, then scroll, then drag, all the way over to the spot you want it.

Stuki
Frequent Visitor

Ah sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant I can only move the selected tab one tab to the left (or right) at a time. Rather than move it to the left or right of multiple tabs, if that makes sense? ie. I can't get it to drag and drop like it sounds you're able to do.

I see what you are saying now. It is working just fine for me though, I'm not sure how else to describe it. You are clicking and dragging the page right? Then as you are still dragging, pressing tab to go forward or shift tab to go backwards in the pages until you find your spot. Then drag your page to the spot you want and drop it in.

Are you on an older version of PBI?

Stuki
Frequent Visitor

I've got it working now... and Wow - what a time saver! Thanks so much for posting this tip. I have searched high and low on the internet and haven't found any other mention of this anywhere.

There are other threads on this forum describing this, including the wraparound option.

Treat this as a design red flag. It means your report has too many tabs.

I respectfully disagree. There are legitimate circumstances when it makes sense for some companies for certain applications to have a large number of tabs. Why MS has deigned PBI so that the tabs displayed don't scroll when you're trying to move a tab is beyond me. I think it's poor by Microsoft to have a product out for so many years and not addressed this, fairly basic, issue.

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree with you, but PowerBI seems to be designed for reports with very limited pages AND limited visuals on each page (thinking of Edit Interactions here, which is very frustrating if you have layers of visuals and the on/off thingies are hidden - and why are there two, not just one toggle, hmmm?? Coding 101). Also the lack of ability to lock specific visuals so that you are continually accidentally moving visuals/shapes that SHOULD be locked.
Same with the 'Autorecovery contains some recovered files' message strip where when you turn the annoying thing off, the default is NO remove the files (said no-one, ever). It is a little wrist slap that you should clear out your Autorecover folder. But every file, every day and every time you close a file? VERY annoying. If it came up once a day I may consider checking and clearing my auto recover folder like a good little girl, but 20 times a day? Go away.
Sorry, PBI brings out the Karen in me 😂

If this is important to you please consider voting for an existing idea or raising a new one at https://ideas.fabric.microsoft.com/?forum=2d80fd4a-16cb-4189-896b-e0dac5e08b41

to click and hold on the page you are trying to move

That's not sufficient. you also have to start moving the tab before doing the (shift) tab thing.

Touche!

The nice thing is that  pressing Tab wraps around.  So if you create a copy of a page that's at the beginning of the report  you can then start moving the new page, press Tab, and get it to the  front right away.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Power BI is giving you a subtle hint that you have way too many pages. Instead of having a page per employee you can have a single page and a page level filter on the filter pane (or a slicer if you must).  When a user makes a filter choice that choice will be remembered and be reinstated when they open a new browser session.

Anyway - If this is important to you please consider voting for an existing idea or raising a new one at https://ideas.powerbi.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.