Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

david148
Frequent Visitor

Monthly Projected Attrition Calculation

Hi there,

I am trying to redesign some of our calcs to make recruitment planning more accurate based on trending attrition values as well as planned attrition plans.

We use a pre-determined % to calculate attrition p/queue we have to work out potential recruitment in future months. For example: Applying a 3% loss in heads on our current staff in Jan-24, and the further 3% in Feb-24 and so on.

The pre-determind % used will change with each fiscal cycle so the table could change annually. This is why I plan to import the table and the planned % values for each fiscal cycle. This also allows for manual adjustments for respective queues and months.

This is only used on Current and Future months as we will already calculate known attrition into the existing staff numbers. To that we will usually not apply any additional attrition in the month that we are in as we should in theory have confirmed most of the attrition taking place in the month. Similarly we will only apply half a months attrition in the next month as we should have already confirmed some of the attrition to take place.

Calculation One

The above can open up room for error so I want to try move away from this and rather calculate the difference between the planned attrition and known attrition in each month so that we are keeping within planning. The % Attrition would then be applied monthly to the previous months headcount to show the impact on planned attrition.

Calculation Two

Additionally I would also as a secondary calculation also want to calculate the last 6 months trending attrition p/queue and apply this % against each month while also taking into account all known attrition and ensuring we make adjustments to the trending values used there as well.

Existing DAX Calculations 

Current Employees =

CALCULATE(

COUNTX(

FILTER(AgentTracking_Table,

AgentTracking_Table[Start Date] <= MAX('Calendar'[Date]) &&

(ISBLANK(AgentTracking_Table[End Date]) ||

AgentTracking_Table[End Date] > MAX('Calendar'[Date]))),

(AgentTracking_Table[Agent Entity])),

CROSSFILTER(AgentTracking_Table[Start Date],'Calendar'[Date],None))

Terminated Employees = CALCULATE(

COUNT(AgentTracking_Table[Agent Entity]),USERELATIONSHIP(AgentTracking_Table[End Date],'Calendar'[Date]),not(ISBLANK(AgentTracking_Table[End Date])))

Trending Attrition % = [Terminated Employees]/[Current Employees]

Below is an example of a view I am looking for. You can see how 'Queue 10' heads gradually drop month on month factoring in potential attrition monthly.

SkillNov-23Dec-23Jan-24Feb-24Mar-24Apr-24May-24Jun-24Jul-24
Queue 9333333322
Queue 10353433323131302928

Example of planned attrition table

SkillNov-23Dec-23Jan-24Feb-24Mar-24Apr-24May-24Jun-24Jul-24
Queue 13.0%3.0%3.0%3.0%3.0%3.0%3.0%3.0%3.0%
Queue 23.0%3.0%3.0%3.0%3.0%3.0%3.0%3.0%3.0%
Queue 33.0%3.0%3.0%3.0%3.0%3.0%3.0%3.0%3.0%
Queue 43.0%3.0%3.0%3.0%3.0%3.0%3.0%3.0%3.0%

Example of staff file

Agent NameStart DateEnd Date
Bob01/02/2023 
Jane01/06/2023 
Fred01/12/2022 
Bill01/01/202317/07/2023
Jane01/02/202321/07/2023

Hope this helps explaining, look forward to solutions 🙂

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please provide sample data that fully covers your issue. Your sample is not covering near enough.

What should happen at the end of the year?

Thanks for the response. This data will be added to over time so until the next cycles values are confirmed the values will need to stop at the end of the confirmed cycle.

What additional sample data can I share to assist?

Please provide sample data that fully covers your issue.
Please show the expected outcome based on the sample data you provided.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.