Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

poweruser_317
Frequent Visitor

MongoDB ODBC column issue in power bi data connection

I am having issue in fetching all columns(around 3000) from mongodb as i only get 2000 columns and other columns are missing. I tried clearing all permissions and tried clear cache as well but nothing seems to be working.

I have tried using both ASNI and UNICODE ODBC but still not able to get all the columns.

Is there any limit of columns for ODBC? I know in power bi documentation it says 16,000 minus one for each table in the dataset but i am not able to figure out why it's not fetching all the columns.

Any suggestions would be a greate help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@poweruser_317 

Sorry, I don’t know much about this. It is indeed difficult to search for specific limit information, because the byte size of the data will have an impact. But it's really not recommended to load so many columns into powerbi, as it will have a greater impact on performance.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @poweruser_317 

The limit is generally on the number of rows, you can check whether the loaded data is too large. The increase in the column will have a larger impact on the file size than the row.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-janeyg-msft 

The data is in json format so when i pull it using R or Python i am able to get all the columns. However this particlular issue exists when i pull data using Mongo ODBC connector. Not sure why is that happening.

@poweruser_317  

Do you follow the steps like the decument:

Connect from Microsoft Power BI Desktop — MongoDB Connector for BI

Best Regards

Janey Guo

@v-janeyg-msft 

Yes, I did. Also, i tried to find out if there is any limit set by odbc driver couldn't get much though.

@poweruser_317 

Sorry, I don’t know much about this. It is indeed difficult to search for specific limit information, because the byte size of the data will have an impact. But it's really not recommended to load so many columns into powerbi, as it will have a greater impact on performance.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.