Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zoubaier
Helper I
Helper I

Modify row order in the matrix view manually

Hello,

I don't see how to order manually the rows in the matrix view.

Is there any possibility to do it ?

Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@zoubaier

Having November or December 2015 show up after January-October 2016 would only happen if you ordered the column by Month Number with numbers 1-12. If you order the column by something like the first day of the month, or YYYYMM, then each month for each year will get its own number and can still be ordered sequentially. 201511 (Nov 2015) will still show in the list before 201601 (Jan 2016).

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
KGrice
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

There's no way to drag them around and sort them that way, but you can use another column to define the sort order. For example, if you have Month names (Jan, Feb, Mar,...) and want them sorted in calendar order instead of the default alphabetical order, you would go into the Data view and select the Month Name Text column. Then in the Modeling tab of the ribbon, choose Sort By Column and select the column name that should be used to sort it, such as First Day of Month (1/1/2016, 2/1/2016, 3/1/2016,...).

Thanks for your answer, but it will not work for me as i have different months of multiple years.

@zoubaier Could you please elaborate what you are trying to do - perhaps share a bit about your data and the model you build.

/sdjensen

You can find an example of column i want to order

Capture.JPG

If i use another column with month number, november and december of 2015  will be after  2016 months.

@zoubaier

Having November or December 2015 show up after January-October 2016 would only happen if you ordered the column by Month Number with numbers 1-12. If you order the column by something like the first day of the month, or YYYYMM, then each month for each year will get its own number and can still be ordered sequentially. 201511 (Nov 2015) will still show in the list before 201601 (Jan 2016).

@KGrice Thanks it works with this format.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors