Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mismatch with no of records exported and no of records displayed

Hi,

The no. of records exported and no of records displayed are not matching. Please need your help on this ASAP.

To display the no. of records below is the measure I used - 

No of Rows = "No of Records - "&COUNTA('Data PL Level'[Metric Type])

FYI-

- The  field "Metric Type" doesn't have a blank record/cell.

- All the fields in the table visual are from single table.

- The field used in the measure is from the same table.

- No filters applied in Visual, Page, Report and Drillthrough level filters.

Regards,

Satya

22 REPLIES 22
bs9694

Hi,

The problem mentioned by the requester is correct. I too faced the same issue. From PBI Service I am unable to export all the record counts. I am exporting data from a table visual.  While exporting data the record count is 41081 for a particular year but after exporting data into csv or excel the record counts exporting are only ~35000.

There is no concrete resolution to this given anywhere even though this issue is raised from last 4 yrs by users.

quentin_vigne
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @SatyaSunitha1_

Maybe you should use the count option of PowerBI, you will have the ability to choose if the count is distinct or not, and It will be easier. 

Just add a card box for Metric Type and select Count. It should match

countdistinct.PNG

Quentin

Hi Quentin,

As per your suggestion, added the card box for Metric type and selected "Count" option. Still the no of records is same as I used in the measure i.e 31,254 records,

For confirmation, I also run the query in SQL database to see the no of records where my data exists. The no. of records are matching with the number in both the option (measure/Count option) i.e. 31,254

But after I export from PBI service, the no of records are 22,931 records.

Regards,

Satya

Hi Quentin,

I see 22,931 records after exporting the data from PBI service to excel.

Regards,

Satya

Hi Quentin,

I see only 2 records if i choose Count (Distinct), because in "Metric Type" filed I have only two categories mentioned below

1. Upfront

2. Order

Regards,

Satya

@SatyaSunitha1_

I see.

Maybe the export option doesn't export every value from PBI ? Because if the cardbox display the same count than your sql query, it's because that's the right count.

If you don't have the same count on excel, maybe the export filter the data ? 

Can you try to check wich data are missing ? (don't know if you can do that)

Else, maybe you can share your data with us ? (export your data in a csv file if it's not sensitive data and we will try to check if there is a problem)

Hi Quentin,

Yes, export option is not exporting all the values.

I can not share the data as it is sensitive. Any action frrom your team ?

Regards,

Satya

If you export these data in a csv file and open it in notepad, how many records do you have ? 

Hi Quentin,

Still same records 22,931

Regards,

Satya

From where (in PowerBI) are you exporting the data ?

Hi Quintin,

By clicking on ... elipses option on table visual (right side top corner).

Regards,

Satya

@SatyaSunitha1_

Are you sure there is 0 filters, 0 Row Level Security and NO interaction from other visuals on the table visual ? 

Hi Quintin,

Yes, I am 100% sure there is 0 filters, 0 Row Level Security and NO interaction from other visuals on the table visual.

Regards,

Satya

Hi Quintin,

I also checked with my colleague in his system with his credentials, also faced the same issue.

Regards,

Satya

Are you exporting from Dashboard or Report view?
I think in Dashboard the export by default is summarized rather than underlying data

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

Hi,

From Report view.

Regards,

Satya

hmm, according to this:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/power-bi-visualization-export-data
there is size limit that can limit number of rows:

When using DirectQuery, the maximum amount of data that can be exported is 16 MB. This may result in exporting less than the maximum number of rows, especially if there are many columns, data that is difficult to compress, and other factors that increase file size and decrease number of rows exported.

Could that be the case?
Have you considered using Analyze in Excel instead of extract?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

Hi Stachu,

Regarding the mismatch between no. of records displayed and no. of records exported to excel from PBI Table Visual, done the necessary investigation and below are my observations -

1. For testing puprose, used the sample data below consists 5 rows and 22 columns of data of which 20 columns are Text data type and 2 columns (AmountUSDK and Quantity) are decimal number data type.
2. 1 record has been duplicated, which has the amount 0.80029$K.
3. After importing the data to PBI Desktop, used Table visual and dragged all the columns to values fields. For Quantity and AmountUSDK used Don't Summarize option, so the number of records to be 5 but I see only 4 records (1 record which is duplicate is eliminated which should not be)

Metric TypeCalendar DateCountrySales Order Type CodeSales Order Type DescriptionSales Channel Route NameBusiness Area CodeBase Product Product Type IdentifierBig Deal IdentifierAmountUSDKQuantityGTMMapped MDCP Org IDMapped MDCP Org NameMapped Partial Sales Territory IDMapped Partial Sales Territory NameMapped Sales Territory IDMapped Sales Territory NameMapped ST Associated Reference IDMapped Top Sales Territory IDMapped Top Sales Territory NameMapped AMID L4 ID
Upfront14/04/2016Hong KongXYZDebit OrderDirectZXYO934775000.80028920GLOBAL53635356Hang Seng Bank, Limited  154734TestTest1336341Tes3Test4
Upfront13/07/2017Hong KongXYZDebit OrderDirectZXYO405846320.19674620GLOBAL    154734TestTest1336341Tes3Test4
Upfront13/07/2017Hong KongXYZDebit OrderDirectZXYO405846323.09171660GLOBAL    154734TestTest1336341Tes3Test4
Upfront26/05/2017Hong KongXYZDebit OrderDirectZXYO405061191.44615370GLOBAL    154734TestTest1336341Tes3Test4
Upfront14/04/2016Hong KongXYZDebit OrderDirectZXYO934775000.80028920GLOBAL53635356Hang Seng Bank, Limited  154734TestTest1336341Tes3Test4

Regards,

Satya

Hi,

No, I issue is not yet resolved.

Have sent test data to investigate, awaitng for reply.

Regards,

Satya

@SatyaSunitha1_

Sorry but I have absolutely no idea where do this come from.

Quentin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.