Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dom-Perthyn
Advocate I
Advocate I

Memory Issue on Data Load in PBI Desktop

Dear support community,

A report that was refreshing fine needed a small tweak to a parameter due to a sharepoint folder where one of the datasources is located being renamed.  I did this applied the change and the appropriate table refreshed with the data as expected.  However now when now I refresh the complete report in Power desktop the refresh fails the the message for every table being:

"Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'There's not enough memory to complete this operation. Please try again later when there may be more memory available."

If I upload the changed report to the service (overwriting the original) it refreshes according tot he schedule without issue.  Other larger reports also refresh fine on the desktop.  If I filter a core table on using top N records, cutting it down from 650 rows to 134 rows it will refresh, but that is tiny in terms of the data stored.  Plus the the memory usage reported in task manager never exceeds 80% when it fails so it does not seem like a windows 11 issue on the local machine.

I have tried the following but without it solving the issue.

• Clearing caches
  • Reinstalling Power Bi on local machine. 
  • Running this report on a different 
  • Reducing the number of concurrent queries and therefore upping the available memory per query
  • Changing the query steps to ensure there is no unnecessary data items. or irrelevant steps.
4 REPLIES 4
Dom-Perthyn
Advocate I
Advocate I

The problem has now evolved to one of table links as well.

I copied of the report pdx and that exhibited the same message, But in this I copied the table with 653 rows using advanced editor, and that  refreshed OK (I made it the only table to be  refreshable in the report).  So as to mimic the original table in the model.  I added the links from this copy to the other tables too which worked as long as I removed the original tables links so it was isolated.  I then removed the copy of the table and tried to re-add a link to the old table.  The linking process then gave me another error say not enough memory to add one of the links back.  Strange that the link worked between the destination table and the copy but not with the original.

Nithinr
Resolver III
Resolver III

Just a Suggestion , Clear all the permissions on Data source settings , re authenticate with new connection and try again.

Just removed all permissions, readded them and  refreshed the tables in the preview to test connections again.  The preview gives me the 657 rows as before.

Refreshing all still give me the same memory error.

Dom-Perthyn
Advocate I
Advocate I

Also tried importing the report back from the service and refreshing that, but that does not work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.