Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jan_Trummel
Helper III
Helper III

Measure with fixed decimal number shows a lot more decimal places

Hello community,

I have the coumn Total price in my table Sales. It's fixed decimal number:

Screenshot 2022-11-16 134426.jpg

Now, I create a measure called Total sales:

Total sales = SUM(Sales[Total price])
I didn't changed the formatting for this measure. The number of decimal places is still set to Auto:
Screenshot 2022-11-16 134852.jpg

I create a report with a matrix and show Total sales per Customer number. And now you see a strange behavior: For customers 21 and 24, my measure shows more than 4 decimal places - like this: 9.283,79999999999999

Screenshot 2022-11-16 135257.jpg

Does anyone know why this happens? Fixed decimal number means, that there should be maximum 4 decimal places. 

Greetings

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Shaurya
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @Jan_Trummel,

Since you are calculating Total Price by multiplying total other columns which are decimals, it is possible that you get more than a fixed a number of decimal places. To maintain consistency in your report, I suggest that you set the decimal places to 2 (or 4, whichever you want) instead of Auto.

Did I answer your question? Mark this post as a solution if I did!
Check out this blog of mine: How to Export Telemetry Data from Azure IoT Central into Power BI

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
chris_kelley
Helper I
Helper I

I would check the fields [unit price] and [quantity].  If you change those to Fixed Decimal Number, that should clear up the issue.  

Shaurya
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @Jan_Trummel,

Since you are calculating Total Price by multiplying total other columns which are decimals, it is possible that you get more than a fixed a number of decimal places. To maintain consistency in your report, I suggest that you set the decimal places to 2 (or 4, whichever you want) instead of Auto.

Did I answer your question? Mark this post as a solution if I did!
Check out this blog of mine: How to Export Telemetry Data from Azure IoT Central into Power BI

Hi @Shaurya  and sorry for really late answer!

It seems like if Power BI would store the values not as fixed decimal numbers, isn't it? Or is it a display error?

Greetings

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.