Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

bo_afk
Post Patron
Post Patron

Measure with calculate before date not working

I've created a measure to calculate another measure only for dates before a particular date.

i.e. CALCULATE( [measure] , [date] < 01/09/2019)

But my result is coming up as blank. Can someone tell me what is wrong with this formula? Reason for this formula is that I want to create a measure for before and after this date and then calculate the difference between these.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bo_afk ,

CALCULATE needs two kinds of parameter: Expression and Filter. So you need a table range to get a filter.

So you could try the following DAX:

Measure =
CALCULATE ( [measure], FILTER ( 'Table', [date] < DATE ( 2019, 1, 9 ) ) )

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bo_afk ,

CALCULATE needs two kinds of parameter: Expression and Filter. So you need a table range to get a filter.

So you could try the following DAX:

Measure =
CALCULATE ( [measure], FILTER ( 'Table', [date] < DATE ( 2019, 1, 9 ) ) )

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

Thanks @v-eachen-msft. This looks to have done the trick!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @bo_afk ,

I'm not totally sure because dates are always something tricky 😁.

Try to format it inside DATE function I think that would pass it with no problems.

Let me know if it helped.

BR,

DR

Thanks for your suggestion @Anonymous 

I did try using the date function but it didn't seem to work. I suspect that's because it outputs a datetime format and my data has only date. I think tried to format it as "dd/mm/yyyy" but then got an error that I can't compare date values with text.

Update: so the date function works when I use a simple sum as my calculation, but when I input my measure, it doesn't work. Must be an issue with my measure then.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Most likely, I would need some sample data to make a few tests but that usually work.

In general, does the calculate formula work with measures and dates?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.