Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Scocal123
Helper I
Helper I

Measure to exclude values split by another column

Hello,

Struggling to describe my issue here so have put detail onto Excel for simplicity. I have a table like the below:

ID Item
AItem 1
AItem 2
BItem 3
CItem 2
DItem 2
EItem 3
FItem 3
FItem 1

This translates into a bar chart like this via a distinctcount measure:

Scocal123_0-1690375056721.png

For the purposes of this chart, I have then created a simple measure to exclude all items < 3 from the chart (the measure was required because my PBI version has a legend, so I had to use the ALL function to get PBI to ignore the legend as part of the filtering), meaning 'item 1' would disappear from the chart. This works fine.

I now need to add a card visual which provides the total count of all the individual items in the bar chart that have a distinctcount of >= 3, but takes into account the split by item in the count so that it removes the 'item 1' values, to give a total of 6. Do you know how best to do this? I need it to dynamically exclude items from the 'Item' column in the distinctcount if they are < 3.

Anything I have tried so far results in me retaining all of the values, i.e. the count is 8 instead of 6

Any help greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Scocal123 ,

According to your description, here are my steps you can follow as a solution.

(1) My test data is the same as yours.

(2) We can create a measure. 

Measure = 
var a=SUMMARIZE(ALLSELECTED('Table'),[Item],"Distinct",DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[ID ]))
var b=SELECTCOLUMNS(FILTER(a,[Distinct]>=3),"item",[Item])
return COUNTROWS(FILTER('Table',[Item] in b))

(3) Then the result is as follows.

vtangjiemsft_0-1690512460494.png

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Scocal123 ,

According to your description, here are my steps you can follow as a solution.

(1) My test data is the same as yours.

(2) We can create a measure. 

Measure = 
var a=SUMMARIZE(ALLSELECTED('Table'),[Item],"Distinct",DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[ID ]))
var b=SELECTCOLUMNS(FILTER(a,[Distinct]>=3),"item",[Item])
return COUNTROWS(FILTER('Table',[Item] in b))

(3) Then the result is as follows.

vtangjiemsft_0-1690512460494.png

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.