Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mgrayTCB
Helper III
Helper III

Measure solution instead of a column. Multiple fact tables.

I have been away from Power Bi for a while and thought this would be easy but I am stuck (probably forgetting something basic). My model looks like this

mgrayTCB_0-1670007223896.png

I am trying to create a table that lists projects, one particular milestone date, and all the equity records for the associated projects.

My measure to find the particular milestone date works fine against projects but as soon as I add equity I end up with what looks like an outer join all equity records against all milestones and lots of blanks.

My milestone measure is:

DateClosingMeasure =

CALCULATE(

maxx(Milestones,

Milestones[DateActOrEst]),

Milestones[Milestone] = "initial closing")

Im trying to get a table visual that looks like this:

mgrayTCB_1-1670007223899.png

I keep getting:

mgrayTCB_2-1670007223902.png

I am trying to do it only with measures. It seems like I can make it work if I add a column to the project table and calculate the milestone date but I feel like I should be able to do this only with measures.

Any help pointing me in the right direciton woudl be great.

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Look at your data model and ask yourself "Can I get there from here?"  You have a dimension table that controls three fact tables.  That also means you cannot control one fact table from another fact table - hence the crossjoin. 

Not saying that is a bad thing.  But sometimes the data model needs to be adjusted to the business question.

Im not tying to control filter one fact table from the other. I am just trying to report two different facts against the project. For every project select one milestone date and report the multiple equity records assocated with that project. The milestone date and project name can repeat for each equity record. 

I am simply trying to use power bi to extract some related data from mulitple tables.

Make sure that the dimension fields in the visual are coming from the dimension table.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.