Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

_JoSi_DA
Frequent Visitor

Matrix is displaying too many rows of related tables

Hi all,
I stumbled over a strange behaviour, which I didn't expect. Acutally pretty simple config...
I have two tables groups and objects, which have a 1-to-*-relationship. The object table itself is linked to other tables...
Group Table

IdGroupName
1Group1
2Group2
3Group3

Object Table

IdObjectNameGroupId
1A1
2B1
3C2
etc.  

Now, I have a matrix visual showing the groupnames as rows, which works as it should.

However, as soon as I also insert the object names as second row level in the matrix, it is showing every object underneath each of the groups, although not every object is indeed in that group.

I was expecting Power BI to recognize via the relation between the two tables, which objects are part of the group and display accordingly?!

Thanks for the support 🙂

Greetings,
J.

4 REPLIES 4
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @_JoSi_DA ,

I tried to reproduce the problem, but I created the data and it showed correctly. If you can, provide some screenshots of the error and remember to protect your privacy.

vstephenmsft_1-1698649843457.png

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.           

Hey Stephen,

thanks for your reply.

Indeed it is working like in your example as long as I do not add additional values/measures to the maxtrix.

_JoSi_DA_0-1698679630731.png

As soon as I add a meaure, which e.g. calculates the quantity of articles in each category, it shows all articles underneath each category. The data model/realtionships are as follows:

_JoSi_DA_2-1698679753765.png

Furthermore I have two dropdowns on the page in order to filter by year and BusinessUnitName (see yellow fields). Quantity Measures is pretty simple:

WW Quantity = COALESCE(SUM(WW_ReportedData[Total]), 0)

Many thanks, J.

One more note: I guess the issue is caused by the fact, that since CALCULATE always removes the filter context in general, this does also apply to the filter, which is given by the relationship between Group --> Object. So IMO there must be a way to tell Power BI to remove the filter context, but keep the filter given by the Group --> Object relationship?! I already tried some wiht ALLEXCEPT, but I didn't work so far.

brokencornets
Helper III
Helper III

Obvious question, but is there a relationship between Object|Group ID and Group|ID fields showing in the data model?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.