Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Domenick
Helper IV
Helper IV

Matrix Totals not making sense

Can someone tell me what on earth is PowerBI's logic here? And how can I get it to show the average of all the numbers in the row?

Domenick_1-1677601996755.png

Domenick_0-1677601937769.png

2 REPLIES 2
MAwwad
Super User
Super User

In your matrix visual, it looks like the Total column is displaying the sum of the values in each row, while the Grand Total row is displaying the sum of the values in each column.

To display the average of all the numbers in each row, you can add a new measure to your data model that calculates the average for each row, and then use that measure in your matrix visual.

Here's an example of how to create the measure:

1. Go to the "Modeling" tab in the Power BI Desktop ribbon.
  2. Click "New Measure" and give the measure a name, such as "Row Average".
  3. In the formula bar, enter the following formula, replacing "Table" and "Value" with the names of your table and value column:

Row Average = AVERAGE('Table'[Value])

1. Click "Enter" to create the measure.

Once you have created the measure, you can add it to your matrix visual by dragging it from the "Fields" pane to the "Values" area of the visual. You should then see the average value for each row in the Total column of the matrix visual.

Thanks, that does make sense but in this situation, this would create an additional column beside each existing column which is not what I want. I want one summary column.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.