Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

csummers
Regular Visitor

Matching values then performing lookup

I have a dashboard that contains employee information (name, e-mail, etc.) that is pulled from our HR system. I have been asked to add the users' sAMAccountName from Active Directory to the dashboard since it is not contained in the HR system.

I have a separate CSV file that has e-mail address in one column and the sAMAccountName in another.

Tried looking up posts here for something similar but not able to get it to work. Assuming I should be doing some sort of join of the data then what is equivalent to a VLOOKUP in Excel?

Thanks in advance for the help.

6 REPLIES 6
rsbin
Super User
Super User

@csummers,

After importing your two separate tables, create a relationship joining emailaddress from the CSV file with your HR data.

Then in your table visual or other visual, the sAMAAccontName will be available to display.

If you wanted, you can use the LOOKUPVALUE function to populate your HR data with the sAMA value.

Hope this gets you going in the right direction.

It was a late night and once I looked at my problem from a different angle I decided to go a different route since it was a quick fix and considering I only update the data once a month not worth (yet) trying to get it to work in PowerBI.

I just copied the 2 columns containing the e-mail and networkID into a new tab of the HR spreadsheet then used vLookup to add the Network ID. Once I refreshed my dashboard I just added the column to visual on my dashboard and it gave me what I needed.

Thank you; I will give that at try and provide an update!

Syk
Super User
Super User

Sounds like you need to be creating a relationship from your CSV to the HR data. Use the e-mail to relate the 2 tables, should be one to many although it could be one to one depending what your HR data looks like.

It was a late night and once I looked at my problem from a different angle I decided to go a different route since it was a quick fix and considering I only update the data once a month not worth (yet) trying to get it to work in PowerBI.

I just copied the 2 columns containing the e-mail and networkID into a new tab of the HR spreadsheet then used vLookup to add the Network ID. Once I refreshed my dashboard I just added the column to visual on my dashboard and it gave me what I needed.

Thank you; I will give that at try and provide an update!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.