Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cjacob
Frequent Visitor

Mapping latitude and longitude without showing coordinates in label

Hi,

I am trying to map some location data using lat and long coordinates but I do not want these to show up on the labels on the map (as they do in the first screenshot). I saw a previous suggested solution on here which was to use an average of lat and long values but I do not have the option to average them (see second screenshot). Does anyone have any other ideas? I want the label to only show the institution name.

Thanks!

powerbi_1.png.jpgpowerbi_2.png.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, this is basic Power BI tooltip functionality.  Your only option is to turn off tooltips entirely.

Think of a tooltip when you hover over a line chart.  It always shows the data along with the value.  And when you hover over a bar in a bar chart, it always shows the category for that bar.

I understand your desire, but i hope you see how introducing that ability to turn the labels off for a tooltip could lead to misrepresenting data.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
cliffb

I disagree with the argument for mandating lat/long in the map tooltip. When I look at a bar in a bar chart, the visual appearance of bar gives me quick information, and then the exact value in the tooltip provides unquestionable precision.

But when I use lat/long in the map viz to eliminate address issues for the rendering engine, I am in no way asking the user to visit my stores by dropping coordinates into an orienteering gps system. Tooltipping those values should always be an option, not a mandate.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, this is basic Power BI tooltip functionality.  Your only option is to turn off tooltips entirely.

Think of a tooltip when you hover over a line chart.  It always shows the data along with the value.  And when you hover over a bar in a bar chart, it always shows the category for that bar.

I understand your desire, but i hope you see how introducing that ability to turn the labels off for a tooltip could lead to misrepresenting data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.