Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

JohnnyT48
Helper I
Helper I

Managing Multiple Relationships Between Tables

I have two data tables with several unique identifiers.

1. Company ID, (Note Company Names Differ)

2. Project Name and No

3. End Of Month

I have created a table to manage the Company ID

Linked the project tables directly with active relationship

When I try and merge the dates, it will not allow me to make the realtionship acitve.

I have tried a date table etc but cannot merge both tables together to create a common slicer. 

Keeps saying there are ambiguous paths. 

If I deactivate the project link then it will allow me to use months but not project names... very frustrating circle

Any ideas welcome 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You can only have a single active relationship between two tables.

I would make a new calculated Date Dimension table using CALENDAR() that has an active many to one relationship to the date columns in both of those tables.  Then use the [date] column in your new Date Dimension table for all visuals, filters, etc.

The proper syntax is something like this, my example only generates date from 2024-01-01 to 2024-12-31.  You will want to choose a date range that is suitable for your needs.

Date_Table = CALENDAR(DATE(2024,1,1), DATE(2024,12,31))

date.PNG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
kpost
Super User
Super User

A screenshot of your data model including all of the relevant tables would be very helpful in answering this question.

Thank you

You can only have a single active relationship between two tables.

I would make a new calculated Date Dimension table using CALENDAR() that has an active many to one relationship to the date columns in both of those tables.  Then use the [date] column in your new Date Dimension table for all visuals, filters, etc.

The proper syntax is something like this, my example only generates date from 2024-01-01 to 2024-12-31.  You will want to choose a date range that is suitable for your needs.

Date_Table = CALENDAR(DATE(2024,1,1), DATE(2024,12,31))

date.PNG

Thank you very much, really appreciate the help.

Thanks

Johnny 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.