Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Manage Relationships not working

I have several issues building relationships using Managed Relations. I'm using the PowerBI desktop in DirectQuery mode. I have over a dozen tables taken from a database, where I've done some renaming/rearranging to the columns. I'm attempting to join them. First, the Autodetect option is greyed-out. That's not a big deal as I'd prefer to connect them manually, but I'm curious to know why.

Capture.PNG

When I select New and in the Create relationship popup, I select the table name, the first problem is the three lines of preview data does not appear for some tables, but it does for others. If I select two tables and connect on a column, PowerBI will calculate the cardinality automatically, but when I click Ok, it doesn't show any defined relationships in the Manage relatinships popup and the whole program freezes. I have to shut down the program entirely.

When I first brought these tables in, PowerBI did autodetect many of the relationships. I removed these prior to editing the tables. I planned to manually reconnect the tables afterward, but am stuck at this point.

These tables have a lot of data, but I wouldn't think that would affect my ability to join the tables. Any help much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on my test using Power BI desktop version :2.68.5432.841. I cannot reprodeuce your issue her. Could you please update your Power Bi desktop to the latest version and try again. Or try to refresh the data and check again.

rel.PNG

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
picnic
Frequent Visitor

This did not solve my problem. Manage Relationship is always greyed-out even after data refresh.

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on my test using Power BI desktop version :2.68.5432.841. I cannot reprodeuce your issue her. Could you please update your Power Bi desktop to the latest version and try again. Or try to refresh the data and check again.

rel.PNG

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! All I had to do was refresh the data and the manage relationship started working. I am using the latest version of the desktop. Appreciate the help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.