Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maintenance End Date

Hi, 
I am struggling and I was hoping someone could advise what to do. 
My Table 'Device List' has a column: [Maintenance End Date]
I want to use a Stacked column chart that will display number of Maintenance End Dates each month. 
So that the x-axis has my Maintenance End Dates and my y-axis counts the rows (IDs). 
I have tried bins, group by bins - size of bins, Bin size: 12. 
For some reason I am getting different results, comparing that to my excel spreadsheet. 
I do not know what to do. 

3 REPLIES 3
Adamboer
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

It sounds like you are trying to create a stacked column chart in Power BI that shows the number of Maintenance End Dates each month. Here are some steps that may help you achieve this:

1. Make sure your [Maintenance End Date] column is in date format. If it is not, you can convert it to a date format by selecting the column, clicking on "Modeling" in the ribbon, and choosing "Data Type" > "Date/Time".

2. Create a new column called "Month" that extracts the month from your [Maintenance End Date] column. You can do this by selecting the column, clicking on "Modeling" in the ribbon, and choosing "New Column". Then enter the formula "=MONTH([Maintenance End Date])".

3. Create a stacked column chart by selecting your [Maintenance End Date] column and your new "Month" column, and choosing "Stacked Column Chart" from the "Visualizations" pane.

4. Drag the "Month" column to the "Axis" section of the "Visualizations" pane, and drag the [Maintenance End Date] column to the "Values" section.

5. You should now have a chart that shows the number of Maintenance End Dates for each month. If the results are not matching your Excel spreadsheet, make sure your data is correctly formatted in both Power BI and Excel.

I hope this helps!

ribisht17
Super User
Super User

Please provide a sample of the data where the issue exists, as this question cannot be resolved without knowing the location of the discrepancy.

Regards,

Ritesh

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Ritesh, 
It actually works. I have just checked it again. What happened was that I had a filter and I waned to filter by Date so when I filtered by 2022 it just gave me a different number, which was lower by almost a 100 to the (bins) summary. Below is justan example of what I am working with. Hopefully this will help understand what I am working with. 
So as I said, the bins actually work. What I want to be able to do in addition is to Filter either via the bar visual or with my Date hierarhy Filter to see the brakedown also by quarter, month and day. 
I want to be able to filter by the 'Calendar' filter for a particular quarter, or month or a day, not just a year.  Should I create a related measure, or something? Please advise.

2.PNG

3.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.