Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tryan
Frequent Visitor

Lookup Value and Transform

I have a two tables coming from a SQL database (a List of Asset Transactions table and a Security Class Key table).  I have succesfully used LOOKUPVALUE to add a new column to the transaction list table which refers to the Security Key and tags each transaction based on a common security code in both tables (so one row might be sale of a stock that gets tagged as "Mutual Fund" whereas another row might be purchased of a municipal bond that gets tagged as "Fixed Income".  How do I work with the data now?  Can I export the new table to Excel or access the new table through Power Pivot?  I don't need to use Power BI in this instance for charting and graphing.  I just want a pivot table so I can slice and dice the data with filters.  If I go to Query Editor, I don't see the new column that I added in Power BI Desktop.  It only shows me the original columns coming out of the SQL database.  So when I added the new column using LOOKUPVALUE, is there a way to actually store the new data as a table that I can export or access through Power Pivot?  Power Pivot does not allow me to access .pbix files.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

You can create table to PowerBI  and add the columns you needed and then export it.

if you create new column using DAX function, you will not see those field in Power BI Data Model, to see these in Data model, you have to create those fields in model, in this case you can use merge queries in data model (as far as I understood from you post).

If need further help, let me know and I can provide some samples.

Thanks,

P

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Wouldn't it be easiest to do everything in Excel/PowerPivot instead of Power BI then?

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

tryan
Frequent Visitor

Thank you.  Yes I'm still trying to learn when it would be appropriate to use Power Pivot vs. Power BI, so I'll have to use each application more to find what works best.

Agreed with you @ImkeF

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

You can create table to PowerBI  and add the columns you needed and then export it.

if you create new column using DAX function, you will not see those field in Power BI Data Model, to see these in Data model, you have to create those fields in model, in this case you can use merge queries in data model (as far as I understood from you post).

If need further help, let me know and I can provide some samples.

Thanks,

P

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.