Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

MH_Ger
Frequent Visitor

Lookin for bar chart that allows for subcategories

Hello everybody!

My goal is to visually represent every floor of a building and also show how much space each tenant occupies on each floor.

The two main requirements are the following:

1) Sort the bar columns from lowest floor to highest floor so that the order is identical to real life

2) Each bar shows how much of each floor is occupied by a specific tenant. Name of tenant/floor is immediately visible.

Using the inbuilt Power BI stacked bar chart, I can make something like this:

PB1.png

The good thing is that this chart is sorted correctly: EG, 1. OG, 2.OG, 3.OG... (i.e., it correctly responds to the "Sort by column" command). Sadly, it can only show values (m²) within the bars instead of the name of the tenants.

An alternative I discovered from the store is this "Treemap Bar Chart by MAQ Software".

PB2.png

This chart meets my second requirement since it allows me to show the name of the tenants (this feature here is called "SubLegend"). Sadly the chart cannot be sorted, though.

Does anyone know of a visual element that can satisfy both requirements?

Best regards!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for the reply. I solved the problem by using the "Treemap Bar Chart by MAQ Software" chart and simply adding an alphabetical prefix to the name of the floor (e.g., "(a) EG"). This chart only ever sorts by alphabet.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Mayank_Yavda
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @MH_Ger

Here is Stacked Bar with Custom Label and Sorting which will help you  to get tenant name as data label and sort the visual.

Stacked Bar Chart with Custom label and Sorting, PBIVizEdit.comStacked Bar Chart with Custom label and Sorting, PBIVizEdit.comStacked Bar Chart with Custom label and Sorting, PBIVizEdit.comStacked Bar Chart with Custom label and Sorting, PBIVizEdit.com

Download link for the custom visual file in this page,

https://pbivizedit.com/gallery/stacked-bar-chart-with-custom-data-label-and-sorting 

This was made with our Custom Visual creator tool PBIVizEdit.com. With this tool,

• anyone, irrespective of technical skills, can create their own visuals
  • 15 minutes to create a visual from scratch
  • opens up many additional attributes to edit (for e.g. labels, tooltips, legends position, etc)

Give this a shot and let us know if you face any problem/errors.
You can use the editor to modify your visual further (some modifications cannot be done in Power BI window and have to be in editor).

Thanks,
Team PBIVizEdit

v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MH_Ger 

I didn't find a visual that can satisfy both requirements. As a workaround, you could use the built-in stacked bar chart and turn on Legend option in it. This can show you the names of the tenants.  

vjingzhang_1-1645763044141.png

You could raise up an idea at Ideas (powerbi.com) to let other people vote for it. Here is one similar idea you can vote up: Microsoft Idea - Stacked Bar Chart Choose Data Label

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

Thanks for the reply. I solved the problem by using the "Treemap Bar Chart by MAQ Software" chart and simply adding an alphabetical prefix to the name of the floor (e.g., "(a) EG"). This chart only ever sorts by alphabet.

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.