Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Helper I
Helper I

Look up previous transaction + Very slow

Hello, I want to be able to lookup for the previous transaction date in a table, but I have 6 million rows and 64 000 different RFID Codes. The 2 methods I tried described below do not work in this situation because there way to many rows. Is there any solution to improve loading time?

Here's my table:

11097486_0-1611767455333.png

Method 1 in DAX: Use Calculate with earlier function

Method 2 in Power Query: Duplicate the table. Create an index for both tables (Table 1 starting at 0, Table 2 at 1), Merging table 2 to table 1 with the Index to get previous date.

As stated, with 6 million rows none of these methods work.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@11097486 reason I asked about the data source, I would recommend to have this join/logic in the backend on SQL server rather than doing it in PQ. PQ is not great when it comes to grouping and merging/sorting etc. There are many technical blog posts around that but not going into detail.

You have two options:

- take this to the backend and do the data prep there (preferred method)

- or use Power BI dataflows, it comparatively much faster and you can schedule it to do the job, and then you can use Power BI dataflows in Power BI to visualize the data.

Check my latest blog post Compare Budgeted Scenarios vs. Actuals I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@11097486 reason I asked about the data source, I would recommend to have this join/logic in the backend on SQL server rather than doing it in PQ. PQ is not great when it comes to grouping and merging/sorting etc. There are many technical blog posts around that but not going into detail.

You have two options:

- take this to the backend and do the data prep there (preferred method)

- or use Power BI dataflows, it comparatively much faster and you can schedule it to do the job, and then you can use Power BI dataflows in Power BI to visualize the data.

Check my latest blog post Compare Budgeted Scenarios vs. Actuals I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@11097486 what is your data source? Why do you want to add this as a column? What is the final requirement?

It's an SQL server database

I want to compare the delay between transactions for RFID Codes

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi  @11097486 ,

Using a duplicat of the table does not seem to be the best option, you can use the index option within the same table and then get the previous value number check the video below on how to do it.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Hello, her solution unfortunately doesn't work. I have 86 000 rows in a table. I do exactly what she says and when I upload I have more than 200 000 rows (it never finished uploading so I stopped). It seems I'm not the only one experiencing this. Thank you

11097486_0-1611773914937.png

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@11097486 what are you trying to achieve? Do you want to add this as a column or measure?

Hello, add this to a column.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.