Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

EFont

Logical clause for a join ?

Hello !

I would like to get a list of active years per users, based on the years between their start and end dates.

My Issue is that I do not have the possibility to add Stored Procedures on my provider's database.

So, I am trying in DAX instead

First, here's an idea of how I would have done it in SQL :

Select u.USerID, y.Year
From vwUsers u left join vwYears y
on y.Year between (u.UserDateHired and coalesce(u.UserDateTerminated, Date.Now()))

Through DAX, I created the following :

ctUserActivity =
Var curDay = Today()
Return SELECTCOLUMNS(vwUsers, "UserID", [UserID],  "DateStarted", [UserDateAdded], "DateEnded", COALESCE([UserDateInactivated], curDay))

So I have my user info ready to join with my Calendar table... But I don't see how to state a logical clause for the join

Here is a data sample of what I would like to obtain:

UserIDActivity

Please help !

Thank you,

Erik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

Roughly speaking, use GENERATEALL(vwUsers, FILTER(vwYears, ...)) to realize LEFT JOIN effect.

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

Roughly speaking, use GENERATEALL(vwUsers, FILTER(vwYears, ...)) to realize LEFT JOIN effect.

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

Indeed !!!

I played a bit with GenerateAll

Once I understood its power, I managed to do it from my sample's elements

The next step was to apply it to my solution and it works !

I also made a groupby on my calendar table to get only the years to simplify the results into a ctYears table, here is the resulting code

ctUserActivityAndYear = GENERATEALL(ctUserActivity,filter(ctYears,and(ctYears[Year] >= ctUserActivity[DateStarted].[Year], ctYears[Year] <= ctUserActivity[DateEnded].[Year])))

Here is the resulting table

EFont_0-1680303832440.png

CNENFRNL, I thank you very much ! 

Have an excellent weekend !

EFont

Just saw that the result table is not showing properly, here is an image instead:

EFont_0-1680284251112.png

Hi @EFont 

I would like to help but I'm a little unclear about your requirements.

Can you show the following?

1)  Please provide sample data that covers your issue or question completely.
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-provide-sample-data-in-the-Power-BI-Forum/ba-...

2) Please show the expected outcome based on the sample data you provided.
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/m-p/1447523

3) Please explain how you would expect to get from 1) to 2).

I hope this helps.

Thank you for your help, grantsamborn !

I managed to do it with CNENFRNL's answer

Have an excellent weekend !

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.