Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gmcc

Loading dates as text like 43374 because of the data in the first row

Power BI newbie,

I would appreciate your help. I am importing an excel file that has informational data in the first row, column headings on the second and data on the third on. Because of this, Power BI identifies the data in the column as text rather than a date (for example in the xls the data is 10/1/2018 but it gets imported as 43374. I have read many suggestions of converting the data using the Change Type with Locale and all the Locale settings but I keep getting the error: DataFormat.Error: We couldn't parse the input provided as a DateTime value.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @gmcc ,

if I understand you do not need row one for the creation of the table.
In the Power Query Advanced Editor you can insert the Power Query function Table.Skip(...): Table.Skip - PowerQuery M | Microsoft Docs before the line that converts the first row into column headers.

Hopefully, this provides what you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
gmcc

Thank you! I guess I should have mentioned that I had removed the first row, and applied the 'Use first row as Headers' option but not in the correct order. One I did that and then converted using the 'Change Type with Locale' it worked like a charm. Thank you!

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @gmcc ,

if I understand you do not need row one for the creation of the table.
In the Power Query Advanced Editor you can insert the Power Query function Table.Skip(...): Table.Skip - PowerQuery M | Microsoft Docs before the line that converts the first row into column headers.

Hopefully, this provides what you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.