Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Load xlsx from sharepoint // load more excel files from sharepoint folder

Hello all,

We have a sharepoint were weekly reports are uploaded in the "2019" folder which is inside the "Weekly Reports" folder on our teams sharepoint.  I have 2 issues:

1) can't connect power bi to any of the excel files on the sharepoint, I get "contains corrupted data "  when trying to get the file from sharepoint.  When I save the file from sharepoint on my PC and load in power bi from pc, it works. This is the address I enter to load from: https://"mycompany".sharepoint.com/teams/$$$$$$$$$/Weekly%20KPI%20Reports/FY%202019/week%2012.xlsx?web=1 

errors below for the link with and without the "?web=1"

Unable to connect.PNGAccessDenied.PNG

2) I'd like to be able to link BI to connect to get data from a folder inside a sharepoint folder , how do I do that ? 

Thanks,

Mihnea 

5 REPLIES 5
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous  the error actually says access denied

maybe this video can help with the steps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vORA7006DdE

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for help.

The video is not helping me a lot. 

In BI I don;t get (anymore) to the sign in options (Anonymous / Windows / Organizational account) even though I tried to get data several times from the sharepoint. 

How do I get the option to sign in again?

When I try to access the same sharepoint in BI and in Excel Power Querry, in BI I get the error and in Excel it works....

@Anonymous  what version of power bi desktop are you on?

i think you can remove your settings in your global settings - file /options / data source settings.  you can clear your logins there and try relogin.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

My version is 2.66.5405.981 64-bit (March 2019)

I cleared the permissions and still get the same error..

Is the data import different between excel power query and power BI?

Importing the same file works in excel. 

@Anonymous  as far as i know it shouldn't be.  There might be a slight version difference.  There is a new power bi version, maybe try installing that.

Also do you copy the code out of power query from power bi to excel?  Maybe take the code that works in excel (the m code) and it into a blank connection in power bi  in power query and run the code that is working in excel in power bi and see what happens

The other thing you can dry do is also clear your cache file / options and settings / options / data load

Capture.PNGother than that you might want to contact support https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.