Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Pokke
Regular Visitor

Liveconnection to Dataset from PowerBI Desktop

Dear all, 

I couldn't find the same question and hope I didn't miss it. 

I want to create a Live Connection to a Power BI Dataset from PowerBI Desktop. Only Power BI Desktop tells me after i selected one Dataset (where i have all rights for or i am the creator of this dataset) the following: 

Live Connect nicht im Power BI-Dienst verfügbar. 

Sie verfügen entweder nicht über die Berechtigun, um eine Liveverbindung mit Datasets im Power BI-Dienst herzustellen, oder das Feature ist deaktiviert. Wenden Sie sich an Ihren Power BI-Administrator um weitere Inforationen zu erhalten. 

Following informations from my side: 
I am the admin. 
I have Premium enduser licence. 
I can't find a setting in the Admin Portal that could prohibit me from this liveconnection.
I can select a dataset via Power BI Service and create a Report in Power BI Service

Can someone explain to me what admin settings are needed to make this live connection to a dataset?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Pokke
Regular Visitor

@rubayatyasmin 
Can you may send me some Pictures for Point 1 and 2. I dont find such settings in my tenant. 

Point 3: I use the July 2023 version. 

Point 1 (sorry german) no Dataset Setting in the workspace settings:

Pokke_0-1689772475653.png
Point 3 no possibilty to set up the things you mentioned:

Pokke_1-1689772561908.png

View solution in original post

@Pokke 

This document will guide you. 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/service-premium-connect-tools

rubayatyasmin_0-1689775945001.pngrubayatyasmin_1-1689775956478.png

rubayatyasmin_0-1689517080227.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!super-user-logo

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Pokke
Regular Visitor

@rubayatyasmin 
Can you may send me some Pictures for Point 1 and 2. I dont find such settings in my tenant. 

Point 3: I use the July 2023 version. 

Point 1 (sorry german) no Dataset Setting in the workspace settings:

Pokke_0-1689772475653.png
Point 3 no possibilty to set up the things you mentioned:

Pokke_1-1689772561908.png

@Pokke 

This document will guide you. 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/service-premium-connect-tools

rubayatyasmin_0-1689775945001.pngrubayatyasmin_1-1689775956478.png

Thank you. I dont find the first setting in our tenant but i think the second one maked it run.

rubayatyasmin
Super User
Super User

Hi, @Pokke 

Based on the error message you are seeing, it seems that you are either lacking the correct permissions, or the feature to establish a Live Connection to datasets in the Power BI Service is turned off.

Since you mentioned that you are the admin, have all the rights to the dataset, and can create reports in Power BI Service, the issue may not be about your permission. Also, there is no specific admin setting that prohibits live connections to datasets.

Here are a few suggestions to resolve the issue:

1. Check Workspace Settings: In the Power BI service, go to the workspace containing your dataset. Click on the '...' (More options), and select Workspace settings. Ensure that the 'Members can create and update live datasets' is checked under the 'Datasets' tab.

2. Ensure Correct Power BI Version: Make sure you are using the latest version of Power BI Desktop. Older versions may not support some features.

3. Validate Dataset Configuration: Ensure the dataset you are trying to connect to is configured to allow live connections. In the Power BI service, go to the settings of the dataset and verify that 'Allow live connection' and 'Allow XMLA endpoints and Analyze in Excel' are both enabled.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.