Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

georgepaph12
Frequent Visitor

Live dadhboards, refresh rate

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask a question regarding the refresh rate of live dashboards. I recently discovered that with premium capacity, it is possible to have up to 48 refreshes per day. Can someone please clarify what this means exactly? For instance, if I have a table with 24 columns and each column refreshes once instantly - whole table refreshed basically, would this count as 24 refreshes or just one refresh?

Thank you in advance for your help.

10 REPLIES 10
onurbmiguel_
Super User
Super User

hello georgepaph12

In Power BI Premium you can scheduled 48 refresh in your dataset per day, you only need to set the workspace as Premium or as PPU.

onurbmiguel__0-1680278795788.png

With the 48 refreshes you can have your dataset updated each 30 minutes.

Best regards

Bruno Costa | Solution Supplier

Did I help you to answer your question? Accepted my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!! 👍

Take a look at the blog: PBI Portugal 

wp-1586527108426

Best regards

Bruno Costa | Super User

Did I help you to answer your question? Accepted my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!! 

If I choose to have refresh rate of 1 second? Still 48 refreshes per day? Also if I have 2 datasets?

Hello again,

If you are using Direct query or live connection please look at this information : 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-automatic-page-refresh

onurbmiguel__0-1680280320225.png

Best regards

Did I help you to answer your question? Accepted my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!! 👍

wp-1586527108426

Best regards

Bruno Costa | Super User

Did I help you to answer your question? Accepted my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!! 

Hello again, 

What is your type of dataset? Is it a import model? Or direct query? Or live streaming dataset?

Best regards

wp-1586527108426

Best regards

Bruno Costa | Super User

Its a database that updates every second, so I guess live streaming dataset

Hello 

Can you please share a image of this workspace so i can understand what you have build. 

If possible in the lineage view: 

onurbmiguel__0-1680330277065.png

thanks

Best regards

wp-1586527108426

Best regards

Bruno Costa | Super User

So far its just a static dashboard with tables, and charts e.g bar charts, the plan is to update a database and live update the visuals on the dashboard, I am asking to see whether powerBI premium can cover our needs; update every second and understand the limitations if any for live connections refresh rate.

You need to be more specific because you need to analyze the best  aproche :

• What will be the source/database for your data? 
  • The users will need to see the values updated by secouds? by minutes? by hours? 
  • Your sistem will generatore how many rows by secound? and by hour? 
  • The users will need to access historical data? How long ? 

BR

Bruno M Costa

Best regards

Bruno Costa | Super User

The database will be a postgresql. Yes the users shold see the values updated by second. Hard to tell how many rows by second probably 1. The users will not access the historical data, they will just see the visualizations for a given simulation, e.g an algorithm runs on python when a user choose to run it, automatically data are regirested in the postgresql and then the dashboard should be updated every second of the simulation. (there is no fixed time for how long the simulation will take)

Hello, 

My suggestion is that you use a trial veriosn of PPU and explore the DirectQuery in PostgreSQL: 

onurbmiguel__0-1680507101495.png

Then on the option "Page refresh" choose as seconds , please read the documentations about that:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-automatic-page-refresh

onurbmiguel__1-1680507381427.png

About using DirectQuery please take also a look on this documentation because there are some condition that you need to know: 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-about

As each case is a case, nothing better than try with the data itself

if you do not get the desired results in terms of performance, you will have to consider using a live streaming dataset, but you will have to have another aquetecture between.

Best regards

wp-1586527108426

Best regards

Bruno Costa | Super User

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.