Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DJerams
Frequent Visitor

Live Connect In Power BI Service Isn't Available

I've been trying to connect in Power BI desktop to DataMart that I have created and is in a Workspace that I am an owner of. However, I receive the below error message whenever I try to do so.

Live connect error.png

Other members of my organisation who have access to the same workspace are able to connect to the DataMart. We all have Power BI pro licences, and are members of the same Active Directory groups. We are all running on the July 2022 version of Power BI desktop.

Can anyone advise on what the issue may be and what solution there could be?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @price1d , Sure. 
The reasone behind the issue is that the Live Connectivity to Datasets can be governed by your Company's IT Administrators. I had to request access for myself and others in my team for the same. There is a role called 'Enable_Live_connectivity' that will be assigned to you or your team members, that will solve the above issue. 
I requested access for my mail-enabled security group (Active Directory group for my team's admins) and once access was given the issue resolved. 

Hope this helps you! 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Redriver123
Frequent Visitor

This appears to be a glitch that came with a recent update to the Tenant settings.

We had everything working fine until new feature was published then all developers lost ability to live connect to shared datasets.

What helped us is enabling Excel live connection setting. (I think this is an oversight or a bug as we're not connecting via excel).

I also think this feature is overlapping when you "share" dataset with "build" permissions to an individual. (This makes is a bit confusing as you have to share access in 2 locations, gloabally and then on shared dataset)

Hope this helps!

Redriver123_0-1710177821387.png

Johnboy

Hi there,

I've got the same issue/error message in Power BI Desktop. We're able to see the datasets but when choosing them receive the same error 'Live Connect In Power BI Service Isn't Available'.

However when using PowerBI Service, we can choose and use the datasets. 

I've checked and we don't look to have a 'Enable_Live_connectivity' role.

Any help appreciated.

Regards

John

Desktop Version: 2.119.986.0 64-bit

price1d
Frequent Visitor

I am experiencing the same issue - @dhruvinushah  can you please elaborate on the solution you found as your description is difficult for me to interpret "It was related to access and governance policy.  Requesting the correct access to my team's mail enabled security group was the way to go."

Hi @price1d , Sure. 
The reasone behind the issue is that the Live Connectivity to Datasets can be governed by your Company's IT Administrators. I had to request access for myself and others in my team for the same. There is a role called 'Enable_Live_connectivity' that will be assigned to you or your team members, that will solve the above issue. 
I requested access for my mail-enabled security group (Active Directory group for my team's admins) and once access was given the issue resolved. 

Hope this helps you! 

FYI; The tenant setting is named "Users can work with datasets in Excel using a live connection". I spent a few months with IT trying to figure this out. 

Tenant.png

Yes it did thanks very much @dhruvinushah!

It is the tenant setting "Allow live connections" that you're referencing - I have changed the permissions and it resolved my issue too.   

Your post is the solution 🙂

hello @Syndicate_Admin doubt, this permission in the tenant configuration was from Power Bi or somewhere else

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DJerams,

Have you checked the permission setting and portal settings to confirm you have corresponding permission to use and access these datasets?

Manage dataset access permissions - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

About the Admin portal - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

In addition, you can also try to test on another device to confirm if any specific setting blocks or break the requests.

Add Power BI URLs to allowlist - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I am facing similar issues. Some users are able to connect, while others are seeing this issue. Is this associated with any preview feature that needs to be enabled / disabled? @v-shex-msft @DJerams 

Hi,

The solution that we found was that access to DataMarts in Power BI was tied to email groups within the organisation, this was updated to resolve the issue.

I don't know whether that might point you in the right direction to resolve your issues.

@DJerams , I was able to find the cause of my issue. It was related to access and governance policy. Requesting the correct access to my team's mail enabled security group was the way to go.

Thanks for the response. Apologies in the delay in getting back to you, it's taken a while to sort out an alternative device to test this issue on.

I'm not able to change any of the admin settings. I've just attempted to connect on another device and I'm still facing the same issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.