Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Anonymous
Not applicable

List all rows of selected start or end date

Hello peers,

I have been working with Power BI filters for a while now but cannot wrap my head around the following:

I have a date table "Dates" (also marked as date table in Power BI) that has inactive relationships to date columns of other tables.  The table "Contracts"specifies contracts with customers that have a specific start and end date. I would like to list all contracts that have an start or end date that is selected in the filter of the date table.

So far I have tried to use CALCULATE or CALCULATE TABLE, like so:

CALCULATETABLE(Contracts, USERELATIONSHIP(Dates[Date], Contracts[EndDate]))

I have also tried:

CALCULATETABLE(Contracts, Dates[Date], USERELATIONSHIP(Dates[Date], Contracts[EndDate]))

And in an other try:

CALCULATETABLE(Dates, ALLSELECTED(Dates[Date]))

All three tables give me the entire range of dates from the date table, so not limited to the selection of the filter.

I will try to describe how I think my post differs from existing posts: The user has the possibility to selected multiple months/years (so using SELECTEDVALUE is not possible I guess). The selected dates are not necessarily in a consecutive  range, i.e. they can be "january - march - april",  so missing february. That is why I cannot use e.g. MAX and filter on that (this worked previously). Lastly, I do not want to calculate anything over the rows in the contract (e.g. AVERAGE) but I would really like to list the rows as-is.

I feel I am missing something fundamental of the CALCULATE(TABLE) function(s). But before I had no troubles with it...

Any help is much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Try to create a measure like below and set it as a visual filter:

Measure 2 = 
VAR SelectedDates =
    VALUES ( Dates[Date] )
RETURN
    IF ( MAX ( Contracts[EndDate] ) IN SelectedDates, 1 )

measure filter.JPG

customer.gif

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the helpful replies so far.

The desired output sample is attached in the image below:

excel_sample_output.PNG

If anything is unclear, pleaes let me know so I can clarify further.

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Try to create a measure like below and set it as a visual filter:

Measure 2 = 
VAR SelectedDates =
    VALUES ( Dates[Date] )
RETURN
    IF ( MAX ( Contracts[EndDate] ) IN SelectedDates, 1 )

measure filter.JPG

customer.gif

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please check if this is what you want:

Measure =
CONCATENATEX (
    CALCULATETABLE (
        Contracts,
        USERELATIONSHIP ( Contracts[EndDate], Dates[Date] )
    ),
    [contracts],
    ", "
)

contracts.gif

Best Regards,

Icey

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Icey,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I am afraid this does not work - I need the actual rows of the contracts table (not the strings), as I want to display the rows in a table visual. Would you happen to know how I do that?

Best,

PC2790
Community Champion
Community Champion

Basically what you need to do is pass on your filter's value in a variable and use it to show your the data in the end.

Please refer this video if it helps.

You can also fine something useful here- https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/using-the-selectedvalue-function-in-dax/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi PC2790,

Thanks a lot for you reply. I have watched the video and read the blogpost.

Unfortunately I have not reached my goal:

- I believe the blog post only refers to selected value. In my case, I need multiple selected dates as "foreign key" (or in the filter).

- Regarding the video: I tried using a variable that calculates ALLSELECTED(Dates[Date]), and filter using CONTAINSROW or IN on that variable. I get the following result:

screenshot_help_2.PNG

That is, I get an empty measure, although BankAccountId is nonblank in all rows.

Weirdly, when I use a calculation on the dates table itself, e.g. DISTINCTCOUNT(Dates[Date]), it does give me the correct number.

screenshot_help_1.PNG

When I try

Measure =

VAR SelectedValues = ALLSELECTED(Dates[Date]),

RETURN CALCULATETABLE(

SalesContracts, FILTER(SalesContracts, SalesContracts[EndDate] IN SelectedValues))

I get a copy of the SalesContracts table, unfiltered. This also happens when I use e.g. USERELATIONSHIP as extra filter (having an inactive relation ship specified). 

Intuitively it seems that ALLSELECTED does not 'work' outside the Dates table. Do you perhaps know what I am missing here?

Thanks again!

Best,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi amitchandak,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Referring to your blog posts: these are indeed very helpful, as a temporary solution I have already added a row for every day between the start and end date of a contract. This method was already in place and works fine, but is more difficult to maintain.

Moreover, I ultimately  need one date "axis" or "main table" to filter multiple tables. So whether I have a base "date column" in the contracts table and use this column to filter all other tables, or I have one "date table" which I use to filter all tables including the contracts table, the problem remains the same.

I will add the desired sample output in my initial post.

Thanks again for your reply!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.