Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

joebax86
Frequent Visitor

Line chart showing Running total by Financial year and month

Hi,

I have looked at lots of posts about this and feel close but can't quite get how I want, my end goal is to get something that looks like this;

joebax86_0-1696435278322.png

I have lots of dates, with duplicates and have worked out a running total that 'resets' at a new FY start. Below is an example of how this looks;

DateMonthFinancial YearRT
1/5/21May20224
1/7/21July20227
1/8/21August202210
1/11/21November202213
1/5/22May20233
1/7/22July20239
1/8/22August202317
1/11/22November202318
1/5/23May20242
1/7/23July20246
1/8/23August202416

Running total is calculated as;

RT       = CALCULATE(
                   COUNT('Table'[ID]),
                   DATESYTD('Table'[Date], "04-30")

But the ouput im getting currently is as below (instead of a running total its just count by month);
joebax86_0-1696436539198.pngjoebax86_1-1696436554053.png

My assumption its something to do with the month field and how it interacts with the running total. When I replace this field on the x-axis with the date field I get the below, this is closer but as shown at the top I only want each month once.

joebax86_2-1696436724889.png

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@joebax86 You are almost there, as a best practice, add a date dimension in your model and use it for time intelligence calculations. Once the date dimension is added, mark it as a date table on table tools. Check the related videos on my YT channel

Add Date Dimension
Importance of Date Dimension
Mark date dimension as a date table - why and how?
Time Intelligence Playlist

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@joebax86 You are almost there, as a best practice, add a date dimension in your model and use it for time intelligence calculations. Once the date dimension is added, mark it as a date table on table tools. Check the related videos on my YT channel

Add Date Dimension
Importance of Date Dimension
Mark date dimension as a date table - why and how?
Time Intelligence Playlist

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.