Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JohannTTG
Helper I
Helper I

Line chart - connection of dots when data is missing

Hi,

I use a line chart for different series of values (legend-setting is used) When for some series a specific values is not available then the line is broken.

From a pure technical point of view this is clear. But the management does not like this.

JohannTTG_0-1686124738011.png

Please look at the last line - no value for "2023 Februar" so the line is interrupted.

How to draw a line between the first dot (2023 Jänner) and the dot for 2023 März?

I am not allowed to insert artifical data (either 0 or the average of the both values at each side). And there should not be a dot for the missing Februar-value. All my manager wants is a straight line!

Is this possible? (my feeling is, that is impossible but maybe someone has a brilliant idea)

Many thanks and regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
barritown
Super User
Super User

Hi,

While I was checking your issue Power BI somehow made this line with the gap continuous, but I am not sure how it happened so just be aware of that.

There is a workaround however - you add one more sequence to your line chart, exactly like the one with the gap, but where the gap is filled with a value - ( Jan + Mar ) / 2, for example. You remove the markers for the continuous line and change its color to the same color that is assigned to the line with the gap.

barritown_0-1686147606057.png

Best Regards,

Alexander

My YouTube vlog in English

My YouTube vlog in Russian

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
barritown
Super User
Super User

Hi,

While I was checking your issue Power BI somehow made this line with the gap continuous, but I am not sure how it happened so just be aware of that.

There is a workaround however - you add one more sequence to your line chart, exactly like the one with the gap, but where the gap is filled with a value - ( Jan + Mar ) / 2, for example. You remove the markers for the continuous line and change its color to the same color that is assigned to the line with the gap.

barritown_0-1686147606057.png

Best Regards,

Alexander

My YouTube vlog in English

My YouTube vlog in Russian

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.