Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jagostinhoCT
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Line chart X axis only shows year

Hello,

I am using a Date column for the X axis on a line chart.

It only shows the year and I cannot drill down to quarter, month or day.

Could you help me figure out what am I missing?

Thank you

Joaquim

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@jagostinhoCT

Currently, it's not supported to put entire hierarchy into a line chart axis so that we can't drill down in line chart as @Nhallquist mentioned. It can't resolve a continuous line when drilling down to different level data. So to use drill down, I suggest you use column chart. 

Regards,

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Nhallquist
Helper V
Helper V

I fought this for a while too.  Make sure you don't have the Date Hierarcy checked in the chart settings.  Wherever your Date field is in the Visualization settings, drop-down the little arrow and make sure Date has a green check, and not the Date Heirarchy.

Date Heirarchy.JPG

This is what usually happens to me, so try there first.

Hi @Nhallquist

If I choose just Date, not Date Hierarchy, I get all dates. I wanted to be able to drill down the data per Quarter or Month.

See image below.

Image 2.png

@jagostinhoCT

Currently, it's not supported to put entire hierarchy into a line chart axis so that we can't drill down in line chart as @Nhallquist mentioned. It can't resolve a continuous line when drilling down to different level data. So to use drill down, I suggest you use column chart. 

Regards,

@jagostinhoCT I would recommend you add a date table so that you can use any time period you want. This blog is a quick way to create a calculated date table. And this blog outlines how to do it with "M". The value of always having a date lookup/dimension table is that you can easily parse your data by any time period in that date table.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

I don't think you can drill into a Line chart.  I just tried to build a quick sample, and my drill down went away and I can't force it.  Try changing the Line chart to a Bar Chart, just to see if you can get the behavior you  are looking for.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.