Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JChai
Frequent Visitor

Line and Stacked Column Chart SHOWS different behaviors on Secondary Y-axis

Hey there,

I am getting different behaviors on Secondary Y-axis while using the slicer to illustrate different item's quantity and costs overtime with Line and Stacked Column Chart. The chart with default properties ideally should show something like the below using Auto Minimum and Maximum range.

JChai_0-1677268861009.png

However, some items are displaying the Secondary y-axis with the same range value but the line is moving up and down as shown below. Note that all costs for Secondary y-axis are the same throughout all period, thus, the line should be flat.

JChai_1-1677269048295.png

Some items using the same chart are showing missing Secondary Y-axis when the Secondary Y-axis is explicitly turn on as shown below. Note that the cost shown below is NOT zero and all costs are the same for X-axis periods. 

JChai_2-1677269145731.png

I can resolve this issue by turning on Align zeros, however, I think this might be a bug within the Auto Range property where the Secondary y-axis is showing inconsistent behaviors for the same visual switching among different items from the slicer. It will be great if this can be brought up to the developers attention and have it resolved soon. Thank you.

Best,

JKChai

3 REPLIES 3
JChai
Frequent Visitor

@lbendlin Thank you for your comment. I don't think I understand the dimensionality that you mentioned. I had tried changing the qty to decimal that represent per million qty but the issue still persists. For the second example, the cost is $0.352 for all periods but I don't understand why the fluctuation is needed for this chart; For the third example, the cost is $0.21 for all periods which all items from the slicer have the same number of periods but Secondary y-axis got squished out. All these seem to suggest that something working behind-the-scene to generate Secondary y-axis with the Auto MIN/MAX range is behaving unexpectedly. In my opinion, I think this need to be resolved otherwise I don't see the Auto MIN/MAX range function being useful here. Thank you. 😇    

I agree, the min value of the Y axis should be pegged at zero for charts showing positive values.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

the dimensionality for quantity and cost is different, so when you  try to show both on the same axis the cost loses out as it is getting squished down.

Your second example is technically correct, revealing small fluctuations in your cost numbers. However the general recommendation is to always peg the minimum Y axis to zero so as to avoid misinterpretation of the data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.