Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dbodz93

Legend vs. Details Field in Pie Charts

Can someone please explain the difference between the "Legend" field and the "Details" field that appear when creating a Pie Chart Visualization?  I can't seem to understand what the difference between these two fields is.  Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

not working  correctly in Power BI anymore. Details is not reflective in the data label for the field within details rather only showing the legend value. Works in PBIX but not Power BI.PBIX.JPGPowerBI.JPG

v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@dbodz93

All type of chart essentially work like a matrix. "Details" is just like the row group, and "Legend" is like column group dividing "Details" into different Series.

Regards,

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

The first Text value that you drag into either Legend or Details will be displayed as the notation for the slices while the other item will appear when you hover over the slice.

In other words, really no difference.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@dbodz93 The Details can also further slice the Legend Fields

just a quick example...

Pie Chart - Legend and Details.png

EDIT: The Values I used were completely random - no meaning to slice sizes whatsoever!

just in case anyone wonders why Dallas is so much smaller than Austin... just noticed it

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.