Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lt79_Pax
Helper II
Helper II

LImitations for pining a live report to a dashboard

Dear Power BI Representative,

I am reviewing pining live reports to a dashboard and am not able to find a section that documents its limitations.  There is documentation for tile to dashboard limitations but not pin live to dashboard limitations.  I am running an experiment between a live dashboard and a regular dashboard I noticed the ellipsis once present on each tile in the regular dashboard are no longer present in the live dashboard.  Could these be the limitations? Please let me know. The first image shows the regular dashboard with the ellipsis options the second shows the live dashboard image with no ellipsis for options.

Thank You.

lt79_Pax_2-1635455870798.pnglt79_Pax_3-1635455899619.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TheoC
Super User
Super User

Hi @lt79_Pax 

Limitations are detailed under the "Considerations and Limitations" section of this page:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-dashboard-pin-tile-from-report

Theo 🙂

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lt79_Pax ,

The dashboard tiles of considerations and troubleshooting are as follows

• If the report that was used to create the visualization wasn't saved, selecting the tile produces no action.
  • If the tile was created from a workbook in Excel Online, you need at least Read permissions for that workbook. Otherwise, selecting the tile won't open the workbook in Excel Online.
  • Say you create a tile directly on the dashboard by using Add tile and set a custom hyperlink for it. If so, when you select the title, subtitle, or tile, it opens that URL. Otherwise, by default, when you select a tile created directly on the dashboard for an image, web code, or text box, nothing happens.
  • Tiles can be created from on-premises paginated reports in Power BI Report Server or SQL Server Reporting Services. If you don't have permission to access the on-premises report, selecting the tile takes you to a page indicating you don't have access (rsAccessDenied).
  • Say you select a tile created from an on-premises paginated report in Power BI Report Server or SQL Server Reporting Services. If you don't have access to the network where the report server is located, selecting a tile created from that paginated report takes you to a page that indicates it can't locate the server (HTTP 404). Your device needs network access to the report server to view the report.
  • If the original visualization that's used to create the tile changes, the tile doesn't change. For example, if you pin a line chart from a report and then you change the line chart to a bar chart, the dashboard tile continues to show a line chart. The data refreshes, but the visualization type doesn't.
  • Some changes you make to a visual in a report aren't reflected in the tile you pin to a dashboard. For example, background color, width/height, and tooltips. Even if you turn tooltips off completely for a visual in a Power BI report, when you pin that visual to a dashboard in the Power BI service, the basic tooltip will still be displayed.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for responding however this does not answer my question.  There are limitations for pining a tile to a dashboard.  However what are the limitations for pining live to a dashboard?  I added an image to illustrate this different type of pinning.  Once pinned live what are the limitations of pinned live?

lt79_Pax_0-1635946070955.png

TheoC
Super User
Super User

Hi @lt79_Pax 

Limitations are detailed under the "Considerations and Limitations" section of this page:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-dashboard-pin-tile-from-report

Theo 🙂

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.