Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

smedina25

Join 2 live query

Hi all

I'm new to Power BI so I'm little confused, I have 2 direct query connected to a SQL Server database, I have made a one to many relation on both queries, I need that when a user clicks on a item on one of the reports that connect ot the first quesry, the report that is linked to the second query gets refreshed too. I'm not sure if I have correctly explained. Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
hemantsingh
Helper V
Helper V

hi@smedina25 ,

I too believe what @ankitpatira has said about using single query instead of two holds good as an optimised solution for near future. Further, Instead of linking & creating relationship in Power BI among two different database tables it would be more better if you do the same in SQL itself. 

Regards

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@smedina25

Your requirement is not quite clear for me. Maybe you're talking about the visual Slicer? Put any field from "one" table in the Slicer, selection in the Slicer would affect the data from both "many" and "one".

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@smedina25 why don't you use single query instead of two queries. You can even get tables from two seperate databases under same query you don't need two different queries for that. Unless you can provide reason for using two different queries for same type of source (in your case sql server) I don't see a need to do that. Once your table are imported you can define relations between them (provided data is related) and filtering will work.

@ankitpatira

CANNOT load tables from different databases using Direct Query

When I try to load tables from different databases (same SQL Server) using Direct Query, it fails and asks me to switch to Import Mode for that query.

The popup message is:

"Switching to Import Mode

The data source you are trying to connect to is different than the
existing DirectQuery data source. To continue, all queries must be
switched to Import mode, which may result in a large amount of data
being loaded."

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.