Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Issue with order of categories in Waterfall chart

Hello,

I've created a waterfall chart with a measure returning positive or negative value depending on date. For the category, I've selected the hierarchy "Date". At the moment, my chart has the years ordered 2012,2010,2008,2011,2013 ... the order is not laphabetical but is linked to the value of the measure.

I have no "Order By" choice when clicking on more option for this visualization According to samples and documentation, catgories should be sorted according to the sort order but it's not the case.

Is it jut me or is it a bug?

24 REPLIES 24
klabir
Helper V
Helper V

Hello

We created the Power BI Ultimate Waterfall Custom Visual.

It has a lot of clever functionality built-in. Like Chart orientation, small multiples, sub totals, Start value, deviation calculation and many more.

http://dataviz.boutique/2017/03/22/powerbi-ultimate-waterfall-custom-visual/

We are interested in your feedback!

Which functionality you still miss?

THX

Klaus

M8.PNG

klabir
Helper V
Helper V

Hello

We created the Power BI Ultimate Waterfall Custom Visual.

It has a lot of clever functionality built-in. Like Chart orientation, small multiples, sub totals, Start value, deviation calculation and many more.

http://dataviz.boutique/2017/03/22/powerbi-ultimate-waterfall-custom-visual/

We are interested in your feedback!

Which functionality you still miss?

THX

Klaus

M8.PNG

dmgutenkauf
Regular Visitor

I had this issue today. It seems to be a case where Power BI gets "stuck" somehow. While trying to fix it, I changed the chart to a table, resorted by the category column (even though the table was already sorted correctly), and when I changed back to the waterfall the sort was fixed.

Now that it's fixed, I can no longer recreate the initial issue... go figure.

Hope this works for you or anyone else who stumbles on this!

dmgutenkauf
Regular Visitor

I had this issue today. It seems to be a case where Power BI gets "stuck" somehow. While trying to fix it, I changed the chart to a table, resorted by the category column (even though the table was already sorted correctly), and when I changed back to the waterfall the sort was fixed.

Now that it's fixed, I can no longer recreate the initial issue... go figure.

Hope this works for you too, or anyone else who stumbles on this (since this is an older post)!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was having the same issue, until i tried writing a measure of the value i was trying to display (=SUM...) instead of using the built in Sigma field. 

Now it's sorting as desired (by month)

Smiley LOL

@Anonymous, that's very interesting. Can you reliably reproduce the behavior and fix it this way? That would be useful to submit in a bug report.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know I am a bit late to the party but I am able to reproduce the bug. If the year is dragged onto the canvas first (or, added to a waterfall template), everything works fine. However, if the Y-Axis is added/dropped first, the order of the years is all mixed up. Well, not really mixed up but it is sorted from highest to lowest value based on Y-Axis value. I am not sure if this is intentional but I guess not. I will be submitting a bug report.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@greggyb , no time to reproduce/test, but i did send in my "Smile" feedback as update to the "frown" i sent in yesterday. Hopefully someone up there takes notice if it is somekind of bug for future use. 

It doesn't resolve my case. The field on the Y axis is aleady a measure with a calculation (Z=X-Y),I've tried to add a CALCULATE surrounding it and play with a filter but it doesn't change either the end result.

jeffreykeryk
Helper I
Helper I

Try converting chart to simple bar chart, and sort by the x axis. Then convert back to waterfall.

I'm not able to reproduce the problem in this thread. My waterfall charts respect the sort order of my category fields. Changing the sort-by column of the category label changes the sort order on the waterfall for me.

I only have this problem when the x axis is a Date.I've tried to switch back to a simple bar chart but then I cannot change the order of the year (or date).

Bar chart, correct sortBar chart, correct sortWaterfall, wrong sortWaterfall, wrong sort

PS: can't send a frown because my e-mail client is not outlook :-s

@Seddryck, use the send a frown option, copy everything from the new mail it opens up, and send it using whatever email client you normally use to pbidesfb@microsoft.com. It's just an email, nothing special about Outlook.

Again, I'm not able to reproduce:

Here you can see me using the auto-generated Date hierarchy in a waterfall, and everything is sorted appropriately.Here you can see me using the auto-generated Date hierarchy in a waterfall, and everything is sorted appropriately.Here you can see my own month field, sorted by another field in my model.Here you can see my own month field, sorted by another field in my model.

Please submit a bug report with the behavior you're seeing. You can reference this thread in your email.

On the first computer running this pbix, I have no email client so definitivey, I can't report a bug. I decided to move the pbix to another computer with an email client (Thunderbird) and when i click on "Send Frown", Outlook is starting and asks me to configure an acount, when I click on cancel, the email is finally created in Thunderbird but is obviousy truncated to the first characters ... anyway e-mail sent but I doubt it will be useful

jeffreykeryk
Helper I
Helper I

Any luck with this? It was soooo disappointing to find this bug. And I cannot determine how to submit it as a bug.

jeffreykeryk
Helper I
Helper I

Same issue... Sheesh! This is a deal killer.

Make sure to submit bug reports when you run into this sort of issue. The forum is a great avenue to discuss and troubleshoot and share experiences with others in the community, but the official medium to submit a bug report is the integrated feedback menu in PBI Desktop and PBI Service.

When you come across this, sending a frown is more effective than "Me too"ing in the forums. Bug reports will receive more direct attention from the devs than forum posts.

How do you submit a bug? I looked all over...

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

Double check and make sure your data has your years formatted as date. If you do not specify that 2015 is a year/date, the chart will not sort correctly.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.