Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

aogland

Issue connecting Power BI Desktop to IBM DB2 database

I am not able to connect my Power BI Desktop to a IBM DB2 database.

If I only add the server name and database I get an "Microsoft Db2 Client: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 155.209.240.10:50000 SQLSTATE=08S01 SQLCODE=-1037".

I was told to use port 8471, and adding server:port I get another error. 

I have tried using both IBM and Microsoft Driver. 

On next page I have added "Database" user that works with ODBC/WinSQL as we do not have the same 

Using IBM Driver I get "DB2: We were unable to find a database provider with invariant name 'IBM.Data.DB2'" and I tried to install the recommended "Data Server Driver Package (DS Driver)".

Is there any guide, or anyone that have had issues that can share what they did to get it to work? 

The server is hosted at a hosting partner. 

I can connect using ODBC but then we need to install Client Access to all users, and it is working really slow. 

20 REPLIES 20
muchinski
Resolver II
Resolver II

For the error "DB2: We were unable to find a database provider with invariant name 'IBM.Data.DB2'", can you try to uninstall the IBM Driver and reinstall it?

BUT at this time, use "Run as administrator" when runing the installer.

muchinski_0-1671122909032.png

Also, be sure to download the 64-bit version!

Afte that, please check If the Driver was installed corretly:

[System.Data.Common.DbProviderFactories]::GetFactoryClasses() | ogv 

It should return something like that:

muchinski_1-1671123068274.png

(I had the same error and it solved for me)

afsantos68

database name is the same as a name of one library?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I also have the same problem with connection to DB2 from PBI.

Using Microsoft driver:

Details: "Microsoft Db2 Client: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxxx SQLSTATE=08S01 SQLCODE=-1037"

Using IBM driver:

Communication protocol being used: "TCP/IP".  Communication API being used: "SOCKETS".

I have tried to connect trough Microsoft Excel with success. Have anyone found a solution for this?

Hey @Anonymous and everybody else in this thread. 

For me, it works for nearly a year. I'm using the MS-Driver. Important is, that i have to use Port 446, for whatever reason. The other thing is, that PBI Desktop is having a hard time, since the December '18-Update, to refresh Tables from IBM DB2 Databases. The refresh takes, like, forever. Right now, I'm running a refresh for 6 (!) hours. I already opened a Support-Ticket and will keep you up to date in this Thread.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Slow-DB2-refresh-Power-BI-Desktop/idi-p/602152

Regards

BjoernSchaefer

Hey Bjoern,

thanks a lot. The Port 446 solved the issue for me :-).

Kind regards,

Marco

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know this thread is a year old, but I'm experiencing the same issue. Did anyone have any luck fixing this issue? I've uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted, jumped on one leg...nothing works.

Anyone?

I updated to the latest version of Power BI desktop (version from 4/23/2020) and can no longer connect to my iSeries data.  Dead in the water here, since working on dashboards is my entire work at home life right now.  Also, the Edit Queries option is GONE from this version, so am forced to create new data sources versus editing an SQL statement in the original queries to speed up refresh. 

Super frustrating!  First the new gateway version is throwing bogus errors, now this?  What happened to Microsoft testing before rolling out updates?!!!

I updated to the latest version of Power BI desktop (version from 4/23/2020) and can no longer connect to my iSeries data.  Dead in the water here, since working on dashboards is my entire work at home life right now.  Also, the Edit Queries option is GONE from this version, so am forced to create new data sources versus editing an SQL statement in the original queries to speed up refresh. 

Super frustrating!  First the new gateway version is throwing bogus errors, now this?  What happened to Microsoft testing before rolling out updates?!!!

REKLP
Helper I
Helper I

Please upvote the question if you're having the same issue.

ahilansinn

Running into the same issue - is there a resolution for this? Can anyone help?

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Can you telnet to that IP and port?

You might have a look at this similar thread:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Error-when-trying-to-connect-to-IBM-DB2/...

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

database name is the same as a name of one library? if not, how can i know the database name? thanks

aogland

I am not able to connect my Power BI Desktop to a IBM DB2 database. If I only add the server name and database I get an "Microsoft Db2 Client: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 155.209.240.10:50000 SQLSTATE=08S01 SQLCODE=-1037". I was told to use port 8471, and adding server:port I get another error. I have tried using both IBM and Microsoft Driver. On next page I have added "Database" user that works with ODBC/WinSQL as we do not have the same Using IBM Driver I get "DB2: We were unable to find a database provider with invariant name 'IBM.Data.DB2'" and I tried to install the recommended "Data Server Driver Package (DS Driver)". Is there any guide, or anyone that have had issues that can share what they did to get it to work? The server is hosted at a hosting partner. I can connect using ODBC but then we need to install Client Access to all users, and it is working really slow.

@aogland

Make sure the instance is running on the server. TCP /IP services are started on remote DB2 server. Port number is correct and it's open on server.

I just tested with server name and database name. It can connect the DB2 database properly.

1111.PNG

2222.PNG

Regards,

Simon Hou

database name is the same as a name of one library? if not, how can i know the database name? thanks

Hello @aogland@v-sihou-msft, and @Greg_Deckler

I still cannot get the connection to work. Anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong?? I've installed the IBM Data Server Driver Package software and I've specified the correct server and port and database name. What else am I supposed to do?

I keep getting the following error using the IBM driver:

We were unable to find a database provider with invariant name 'IBM.Data.DB2'

Using the MIcrosoft driver I get:

The package corresponding to an SQL statement execution request was not found. SQLSTATE=51002 SQLCODE=-805

Hola buen dia Robarivas, encontre los siguiente......

cuando instalas el driver de IBM se tiene el problema de que el "InvariantName" que se le otorga al controlador toma la version: ejemplo

Pablo_dediosIBM_0-1648524303275.png

aqui hay dos opciones, por el regedit cambies el nombre del inveriantname, solo que a futuro podria ser un problema....
o que Microsoft actualice por algun parche esta conexion y busque el nombre completo que se le esta otorgando al conector...

I still have not got it to work.

Same exacct issue when connecting to DB2 from Power BI:

Details: "IBM DB2: We were unable to find a database provider with invariant name 'IBM.Data.DB2'.
This error could've been the result of provider-specific client software being required, but missing on this computer.  To download client software for this provider, visit the following site and choose the 64-bit (x64) version of, at minimum, 'IBM Data Server Driver Package (DS Driver)': https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkID=274911"

Running into the same issues. Can anyone else here? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.