Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

andykmwong
Helper III
Helper III

Issue Encountered : Upload Power BI reports to SQL Server Reporting Services Error

Dears,

With the succeed to change the SSRS Virtual Directory and Report Server URL after install the SSRS Technical Preview

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=54610

Everything is fine however encounter an error on Power BI reports upload to the SSRS Version 14.0.1.353 but the have only install the Power BI for SSRS already.

"We can’t open this Power BI Desktop report because it contains an unsupported data source connection or embedded data. This preview version supports only Power BI Desktop reports that connect live to SQL Server Analysis Services (on-premises). "

Anyone could help ?

Thanks 

Andy Wong

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @andykmwong,

>>"We can’t open this Power BI Desktop report because it contains an unsupported data source connection or embedded data. This preview version supports only Power BI Desktop reports that connect live to SQL Server Analysis Services (on-premises). "

Current this feature only support SSAS datasource.

>>I found that this preview only supports the Power BI Desktop connect to SQL Server Analysis Services Database but not to SQL Server Database.

SSAS connector not support "SQL Server Database", so you can't use this connector connect to sql server database.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same issue.  Can you not save a PBIX file with SQL Server Database data to Report Server??????  

andykmwong
Helper III
Helper III

Dears,

I found that this preview only supports the Power BI Desktop connect to SQL Server Analysis Services Database but not to SQL Server Database.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-analysis-services-tabular-data/

However, what security UID to grant to SQL Server ?

Thanks 

Andy Wong01.JPG02.JPG03.JPG04.JPG05.JPG

Hi @andykmwong,

>>"We can’t open this Power BI Desktop report because it contains an unsupported data source connection or embedded data. This preview version supports only Power BI Desktop reports that connect live to SQL Server Analysis Services (on-premises). "

Current this feature only support SSAS datasource.

>>I found that this preview only supports the Power BI Desktop connect to SQL Server Analysis Services Database but not to SQL Server Database.

SSAS connector not support "SQL Server Database", so you can't use this connector connect to sql server database.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

This limitation of the May 2017 preview version seems to still exist in the June 2017 GA version of Power BI Report Server. I'm running the latest Power BI Desktop Version 2.47.4766.581 (June 2017) and Power BI Report Server Version 14.0.600.286 (June 2017). When trying to save as the Power BI report to Power BI Report Server, still getting the same error message. Can some one confirm if this limitation will be lifted in the future release?

"We can't publish this Power BI Desktop report because it contains an unsupported data source connection or embedded data. This preview version supports only Power BI Desktop reports that connect live to SQL Server Analysis Services (on-premises)."

Thanks.

I have the same issue... will this restriction be lifted, and when? Thanks!

andykmwong
Helper III
Helper III

01.JPG02.JPG03.JPG04.JPG05.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.