Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bvy
Helper V
Helper V

Is there a measure that produces better (more distinguishable) colors for bars/ lines/ markers?

I'm doing a lot of work with column charts, line charts and scatter charts where the colors assigned to the distinct values should (and do) match across visuals. The issue I'm running into is that the colors Power BI picks are often very close in hue, such that if I select two values, there's a good chance that the colors will be so close in hue that you can't distiguish one from the other. Below is an excellent example. 

bvy_0-1680803414863.png

Not sure where or how Power BI sources this pallette, but with only 7 entries, a color assignment that makes any two selections pairwise distinguishable is clearly possible. Looking for ideas. Feel like there's a measure that can do this better, it would just have to be applicable across different visuals so the color values match across them (e.g. Value A is navy blue in my column chart, line chart and scatter chart).

Thanks. 

2 REPLIES 2
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @bvy ,

In the Clustered bar chart, when data exists on both Y-axis and Legend, there is no fx option to change the color dynamically, only manually changing the color of each X-axis value.

You can use Visual – Bars – Colors to set different colors for Groups to distinguish them.

vyangliumsft_0-1681111646413.png

In the Line chart:Visual – Lines-- Colors.

vyangliumsft_1-1681111669787.png

In the Scatter chart: Visual – Markers -- Color.

vyangliumsft_2-1681111669788.png

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

In the Line chart:Visual – Lines-- Colors

it's ridiculous that you cannot set colours when you have a legend via a measure and must rely on whatever random choice is assigned.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.