Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is Top N no longer a Filter Type option?

I'm trying to build a simple data table showing the top 10 SKUs purchased by qty.

My data is line level by the purchase order (so if my product SKU is ABC123, it may appear with different qtys on several lines).

I thought I'd be able to use the Filter Type : Top N option however the only ones I have in my Power BI are "Basic Filtering" and "Advanced Filtering".

Is there a setting I need to change?

My column for the filter is formatted as a number.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Once you drag to SKU to Visual level filter you should get Top N option and you can drag quantity there.

Top Brand.png

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution. In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @
Thanks. My Recent Blog -
Winner-Topper-on-Map-How-to-Color-States-on-a-Map-with-Winners , HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-trend
Power-BI-Working-with-Non-Standard-Time-Periods And Comparing-Data-Across-Date-Ranges

Connect on Linkedin

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I came here because I had the same problem. When I searched for Top N on the Filters pane it did not return any results. Then I figured out that you have to click on a specific variable to bring up options for that variable, then select Top N from the Filter Type dropdown menu.

EDIT: I also discovered that in order to fill the "By value" field, I need to drag a column or measure from the Fields pane, instead of selecting from a dropdown list or dragging from the report view or the Visualizations pane.

Tcoffey82

I recently learned that Top N can only be found in visual level filters at this time, not in page level nor report level.  Just FYI for anyone who is wondering.

Makes sense to me as it is probable that not all visuals on a Page, or Report, will have the same columns to filter on.  The Analyst has more control over the filtering process this way.

Tcoffey82

I am having the same issue with the new version.  Where is Top N filter on the Filter on all pages section?

Tcoffey82_0-1620009119824.png

The following procedure worked for me.

right click on the column and then add it to the Visual-level filters. Then you will get to see the desired third option 'Top N' along with the two options Basic and Advanced.

Hope this helps!

EDIT : This only works for a column. Not for a measure.

Screenshot (15).png

Right-clicking on the field, selecting add to filters, and adding Visual-level filter works. I added a "Top Customer" card visual with textual data but didn't find Top-N in visual level filters.
But, I was able to add top-n right-clicking on the field name again and following the above procedure.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! My issue was actually that I was looking for the "Top N" option in the "Filters on this page" section instead of the "Filters on this visual" section. Your screenshot clarified it for me!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Once you drag to SKU to Visual level filter you should get Top N option and you can drag quantity there.

Top Brand.png

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution. In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @
Thanks. My Recent Blog -
Winner-Topper-on-Map-How-to-Color-States-on-a-Map-with-Winners , HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-trend
Power-BI-Working-with-Non-Standard-Time-Periods And Comparing-Data-Across-Date-Ranges

Connect on Linkedin

Sorry @amitchandak , but this solution does not solve my problem.  Please see my screenshot and note above.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.