Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Glu

Interaction with multiple slicers between two cards

I have a data set that represents people and their characteristics.  For this explantion we'll use color, height, handsomeness, IQ, and age.

I can place a card in my report and display the total count of records in the dataset on the card.

I have 5 slicers and I can check the boxes on the slicers to display a total count of the persons meeting the various criteria selected.

I have a second card.  What I want on the second card is the percentage of the overall total the displayed number on the first card represents. 

So, say I have 200 total people in the dataset.  Let's say 120 of them blue and 80 green.  Of the green people 50 are tall and 30 are short.  Of the short green people, 20 are handsome and 10 are ugly.   I can click the slicers for green, short, and ugly to display 10 as a count on the first card. I would also have slicers for IQ and age.

I want the second card to display 5%.  Right now it always displays 100%.  The 10 green, short, ugly people represent 5% (10/200) of the total people.  If I were to manipulate the slicers to have the first card display the count of tall, smart people, as an example, I would want the second card to display the percentage which tall smart people represent of the 200 whole.   

I don't know how to connect/filter/adjust/change things to get that interaction. 

If this isn't a clear enough explantion, I can try to create a dummy PBIX or tables or something and post it.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
truptis
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Glu ,

You need to create 2 measures (1 measure for card 1 and 1 for card 2)
Measure 1 will be the total_count = Count(Columnname)
Measure 2 will be % of total_count = 

% of total_count =
var _Total = CALCULATE([total_count], ALL(Tablename))

RETURN

DIVIDE([total_count], _Total)

Later put these 2 measures in each card. 

Please hit the thumbs up and mark it as a solution if it works for you. Thanks.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
truptis
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Glu -> Glad that it worked. 

Explanation for measure 2:

% of total_count =
var _Total = CALCULATE([total_count], ALL(Tablename))  //create a variable which counts the entries in a particular column... ALL(tablename) here -Returns all the rows in a table, or all the values in a column, ignoring any filters that might have been applied

RETURN

DIVIDE([total_count], _Total) //here total_count is the numerator(i.e.-count of your column with the filter/slicer selected) and _Total is the measure that I explained above(i.e.- count of everything irrespective of the filters applied)

truptis
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Glu ,

You need to create 2 measures (1 measure for card 1 and 1 for card 2)
Measure 1 will be the total_count = Count(Columnname)
Measure 2 will be % of total_count = 

% of total_count =
var _Total = CALCULATE([total_count], ALL(Tablename))

RETURN

DIVIDE([total_count], _Total)

Later put these 2 measures in each card. 

Please hit the thumbs up and mark it as a solution if it works for you. Thanks.

This appears to have done the trick- thank you.  The thing I seem to not have been getting is that I wasn't using a measure on Card 1.  It was just showing count(data element).  I just dragged the data element over to the field box on the visualization tab and selected count.  So I had no way to reference it.  Making a measure that was total_count = Count('table'[dataelement]) then lets me reference it and use it with a second measure on a second card. I don't fully understand the DAX on the second card but it works!

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

Have you tried:

% of total =
VAR _Total = CALCULATE([your count measure], ALL(Table))

RETURN

DIVIDE([Your count measure], _Total)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

I have not tried that.  I don't even know what to do with that or where to put it. Is that DAX for a measure that I would then show on Card 2?

I think that is dividing your_count_measure into a total.  I don't know how to capture the your_count_measure figure.  The number I want is the number that shows up on Card 1 when the user selected filters are applied.  I don't know how to "move that over" to act as the numerator for a calculated percentage of the overall total on Card 2.   

CALCULATE([the number displayed on card 1], ALL(thenameofmymaindatatable))

Thanks for responding!
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

Correct. The measure is for the second card. 
what are you using for the calculation in the Card 1 visual?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

I wasn't using a measure on the first card, but you got me thinking that way.  So thank you. i would give you partial marks if I could.   

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.