Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Indexing a row to a column in another table

Hi,

I have one table with supplier names and respective index values. (Table 1 )

I have another table  with survey answers from different suppliers ; each column here stands for supplier answers. There are 20 columns as 20 suppliers and each row states one feedback answer from the survey. (Table  2)

I want to link each supplier name from table 1 to a specific column in table 2.

Thank you !

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

I also think use unpivot column to convert these fields to attribute and value will be a better choice to handle this scenario. Dax expression was not suitable to calculate across multiple fields, it means you need to union function to manually extract each value field from the table and mapping with current records. (BTW, large and complex expression with multiple lopping will spend huge amount of memory resources, they may cause the memory out issue)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous you are going to make it super complicated and there is no point solving it thru dax, if I were you I will work on preparing the data in the right way to make it work. there is no point in spending time and writing complex dax which can be achieved with proper data modeling. Rest it is your call.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous best is to unpivot your survey table so that supplier name and their reply are on the rows instead of columns and from there everything should be straightforward.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I cannot unpivot as each question has subcategories and I have indexed them accordingly. 

Is it possible to do this in DAX ? I am trying to create a hybrid matrix therefore need to index a supplier row to a specific column in the survey table 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.