Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kasiaw29
Resolver II
Resolver II

Incremental Refresh - Keep yesterday's data and refresh today's.

Hi all, 

I'm setting up incremental refresh for the first time with one of my reports. I'm most likely doing something silly but the main goal here is to load the data in and only refresh the next day's data, i.e. if I load my data in I want to keep it all and perform a refresh tomorrow to bring in new data. I thought I had it set up right in the service but I checked my report and it's empty. 

I've got my custom filter set up as such

kasiaw29_0-1660811234151.png

and incremental refresh as such 

kasiaw29_1-1660811350839.png

I see that it says data will be incrementally refreshed from 17/08/2022 to 17/08/2022 which means yesterday and override yesterday's load which I don't want to do. 

Data in the table changes every day and what I'm trying to achieve with this is to capture daily changes in data via incremental refresh to perform trend analysis of it. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Data in the table changes every day

That means your data is unsuitable for incremental refresh.  Incremental refresh expects immutable data that can be added on to, but never needs to be updated.

You are looking for differential refresh. That is not something Power BI can do.

Your best bet is to extend the refresh window to refresh not the last day but the last 14 days (for example) to catch most changes, and to run occasional full refreshes to cover cases when older data has changed.

Note that you can also manually or programmatically refresh individual partitions.

Note that you have selected "Only refresh complete days" which is most likely not what you want.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Data in the table changes every day

That means your data is unsuitable for incremental refresh.  Incremental refresh expects immutable data that can be added on to, but never needs to be updated.

You are looking for differential refresh. That is not something Power BI can do.

Your best bet is to extend the refresh window to refresh not the last day but the last 14 days (for example) to catch most changes, and to run occasional full refreshes to cover cases when older data has changed.

Note that you can also manually or programmatically refresh individual partitions.

Note that you have selected "Only refresh complete days" which is most likely not what you want.

Late reply but for those that come here after a search:

I believe it needs an immutable datetime column, not necessarily that the whole row needs to be immutable. If you have an immutable column like a creationdate log column you can use that together with detect data changes on a modifieddate log column. If you set your partitions at the month level for example it will scan each month for a change in last modifieddate and then refresh the entire partition. 

Thank you for your reply! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.