Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Incorrect results from dimensions in Google Analytics Connector

So I wanted to see how many pages had multiple page titles assigned to them (this could be due to page titles being changed over time etc). To do this, I created 2 tables, the first contained Page and Pageviews, the second had Page, Page Title and Pageviews. Page and Page Title are dimensions and Pageviews is a metric.

I figured that however many extra results were in the second table compared to the first would tell me how many pages had multiple titles assigned to them. However, when I did this, I got 1795 rows in the first table, and 1124 in the second! It should be impossible to have less results by adding a second dimension, as you are adding an extra field that the data needs to be broken down by, so how has this happened?

Is this a known bug in the connector? I'm not sure I can trus the data if there is a fundamental issue like this in it.

3 REPLIES 3
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please check the following thread for your problem:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/Different-results-with-same-query-using-Google-Analytics-Built/m-p/647879

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yiruan-msft wrote:

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please check the following thread for your problem:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/Different-results-with-same-query-using-Google-Analytics-Built/m-p/647879

Best Regards

Rena

I don't think thats the same issue. That is talking about if dimensions are compatible, these 2 are. The rounding issue they are talking about will change the number of results, but even with rounding, its impossible to get less results when adding a second dimension so that is not the issue either.

I tested a custom report in analytics and it did as expected, even if the numbers are rounded and may not be 100% accurate it should at least go up in numbers, and on that link it said that was for high traffic sites, we are NOT a high traffic site (on a good day we may crack 1000 pageviews), so shouldn't be an issue for us as the data returned is extreemely small (one of the smallest datasets I have worked on in Power BI).

Hi @Anonymous,

Power BI Desktop rely on the Google Analytics Core Reporting API to get data from the Google Analytics service, though Power BI desktop attempts to update corresponding to the API changes, we can't guarantee the results when use this connector. See: Google Analytics connector for Power BI Desktop.

According to the document, I would suggest you post a thread in Stack Overflow google-analytics-api forum to get help from Google Analytics.

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.