Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

raghun
Frequent Visitor

Improve performance of query involving Summarize

Hi,

I have a query like this that computes an intermediate metric:
Success := COUNTROWS( FILTER(SUMMARIZE(Table, Table[id], "TotalRows", SUM(Table[nRows]), "SuccessfulRows", SUM(Table[Successes])), [TotalRows] = [SuccessfulRows]))

Esentially, for a given id, I want to mark it as successful if number of rows per id is equal to the number of successful rows for that id. 
Since I'm using summarize, the query is scanning the entire table for each id and computing the metric. My table has more than 18M rows and this single computation is taking more than 30secs to execute.

Is there a way to optimize this ? Thanks for the help.

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @raghun ,

Maybe you can consider add two columns to your table to stored summary result, then write formula to compare with these fields.
It should increase calculation speed for measure but it will also increase memory usage of data model.

BTW, you can also try to use GROUPBY function to instead SUMMARIZE function:

Nested grouping using GROUPBY vs SUMMARIZE

Please understand that this link is provided with no warranties or guarantees of content changes, and confers no rights.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@raghun -

Maybe you could use DaxStudio to help identify your bottlenecks https://daxstudio.org/documentation/videos/.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

I already did that this is what I see but couldn't figure out where I can optimize.

Line	Records	Physical Query Plan
1		AddColumns: IterPhyOp LogOp=AddColumns IterCols(0)(''[SuccessfulCalls])
2		    SingletonTable: IterPhyOp LogOp=AddColumns
3	1	    SpoolLookup: LookupPhyOp LogOp=CountRows Integer #Records=1 #KeyCols=0 #ValueCols=1 DominantValue=BLANK
4	1	        AggregationSpool<Count>: SpoolPhyOp #Records=1
5		            Filter: IterPhyOp LogOp=Filter IterCols(0, 1, 2)('Table'[Id], ''[TotalRows], ''[SuccessfulRows])
6		                Extend_Lookup: IterPhyOp LogOp=EqualTo IterCols(1, 2)(''[TotalRows], ''[SuccessfulRows])
7		                    AddColumns: IterPhyOp LogOp=AddColumns IterCols(0, 1, 2)('Table'[Id], ''[TotalRows], ''[SuccessfulRows])
8	21183022	                        Spool_Iterator<SpoolIterator>: IterPhyOp LogOp=GroupBy_Vertipaq IterCols(0)('Table'[Id]) #Records=21183022 #KeyCols=569 #ValueCols=0
9	21183022	                            ProjectionSpool<ProjectFusion<>>: SpoolPhyOp #Records=21183022
10		                                Cache: IterPhyOp #FieldCols=1 #ValueCols=0
11	21183022	                        SpoolLookup: LookupPhyOp LogOp=Sum_Vertipaq LookupCols(0)('Table'[Id]) Integer #Records=21183022 #KeyCols=569 #ValueCols=2 DominantValue=BLANK
12	21183022	                            ProjectionSpool<ProjectFusion<Copy, Copy>>: SpoolPhyOp #Records=21183022
13		                                Cache: IterPhyOp #FieldCols=1 #ValueCols=2
14	21183022	                        SpoolLookup: LookupPhyOp LogOp=Sum_Vertipaq LookupCols(0)('Table'[Id]) Integer #Records=21183022 #KeyCols=569 #ValueCols=2 DominantValue=BLANK
15	21183022	                            ProjectionSpool<ProjectFusion<Copy, Copy>>: SpoolPhyOp #Records=21183022
16		                                Cache: IterPhyOp #FieldCols=1 #ValueCols=2
17		                    EqualTo: LookupPhyOp LogOp=EqualTo LookupCols(1, 2)(''[TotalRows], ''[SuccessfulRows]) Boolean
18		                        ColValue<''[TotalRows]>: LookupPhyOp LogOp=ColValue<''[TotalRows]>''[TotalRows] LookupCols(1)(''[TotalRows]) Integer
19		                        ColValue<''[SuccessfulRows]>: LookupPhyOp LogOp=ColValue<''[SuccessfulRows]>''[SuccessfulRows] LookupCols(2)(''[SuccessfulRows]) Integer

@raghun -

To be honest I don't know much about improving performance. A resource I use though is the sqlbi.com guys.

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/best-practices-using-summarize-and-addcolumns/ presents some best practices, have you tried to implement the techniques in your project?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.