Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Nick2358
Helper III
Helper III

Importing dataset locks menu options

Hello everyone,

Here is my problem today. We gave access to several datasets to people within my company so they can do what they want with their data without messing with any of the data sources (easy things like creating tables, charts, etc.).

My problem is some of them want to access the "Data" view or import some of their own Excel spreadsheets to create a relationship witht the dataset, etc. but from the moment they import a dataset most of the usual options from the menu get locked.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get past this so they can use the options?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Nick2358 ,

Well, the connection modes of Power BI Service datasets on Power BI Desktop is live connection. If you add other data sources when there is already a dataset, the connection mode of the dataset will become DirectQuery.

I think it is because the connection mode is live connection. Live connection is to import a completed data model into Power BI, so some functions of the menu bar will be restricted.

Screenshot 2021-05-19 135154.png

Reference: DirectQuery, Live Connection or Import Data? Tough Decision!

Connect to datasets in the Power BI service from Power BI Desktop

Using DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview)

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Nick2358 ,

Do you mean to connect a Power BI Service dataset and a local excel file at the same time? 

If so, I think the connection mode of this dataset will become DirectQuery.

Please provide me with some screenshots about your issue.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-stephen-msft please find some screenshots attached.

This is after I import my dataset then most of the usual features I use are locked. 

Also, following you comment, when I want to import a dataset it only says "Create" but I can't choose between "import" and "direct query" like I usually do.

Thanks for your help,

Screen Shot_10.pngScreen Shot_11.pngScreen Shot_12.png

Hi @Nick2358 ,

Well, the connection modes of Power BI Service datasets on Power BI Desktop is live connection. If you add other data sources when there is already a dataset, the connection mode of the dataset will become DirectQuery.

I think it is because the connection mode is live connection. Live connection is to import a completed data model into Power BI, so some functions of the menu bar will be restricted.

Screenshot 2021-05-19 135154.png

Reference: DirectQuery, Live Connection or Import Data? Tough Decision!

Connect to datasets in the Power BI service from Power BI Desktop

Using DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview)

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

Hi @v-stephen-msft 

Thank you for your answer,

Based on what you said I ended up exporting the dataset from the Service instead of importing it in a blank pbi file. 

And from there I can access all my usual features,

Thanks,

Nick

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Nick2358 , If I got it correctly. You are importing a power bi dataset.  After dec -2020 there are some limitations are removed. I am able add a dataset with an additional local table, but not able to join that with a data model coming from a dataset with a new table. I am on April 2021.

I first added local file, then added power bi dataset

Hi @amitchandak,

I'm on April 2021 too and that's what I thought would be the best solution. It's just not great when you have to make potential adjustments after importing the dataset...

And do you know if there is any solution to having the "Data" view or adding columns, etc. after importing the dataset?

Thanks,

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.