Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jurgen1978
Regular Visitor

Importing Tabular Model in PowerBI Dektop

Hi everyone,

I have an issue, importing a Tabular Model into Power BI Desktop. I have read about similar questions within this forum, however I think my question is slightly different:

I have made a Tabular Model, in which I inserted some tables with relevant data. Within the model, we created some relations between the different tables. 
I want to import this Tabular Model into Power Bi, keeping the relations that we have created in the original model. However, when I import the Tabular Model, I lose the relations that I created, thus getting different results, in relation to the results that I obtain, when I extract the results directly from the Tabular Model (which is the option Live Connect)

I do need to use the Import option, since the reports that I deliver are published outside my organization, thus not being able to Live Connect with the Tabular Model. 

My question is: " is there a possibility to import a Tabular Model in PowerBI, which contains the original relations created within it? If yes: what are the steps to take, to be able to succesfully import the Tabular Model as described above?

Thanks for your reply!
Kind regards,
Jurgen van Geest 

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Is there a reason you can't just recreate the relationships in the Power BI model?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Check for auto detect, else you have to do it manually. refer this

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-create-and-manage-relationships

Hi there!

Auto detect doesn't work, since the relations that I established in the Tabular Model, dissapear when I imported the model in Power BI.

I could manually re-establish the relations in PowerBI. However, I would prefer not doing so, since there are various reasons to model the  data as close to the source as possible.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.