Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dswallow
Helper I
Helper I

Identify if value has changed over time with same ID

Hi,

I am trying to identifty if my milestone date value has changed by looking at the latest value compared to previous value?

A new row is created each month when the milestone data is extracted. The latest data is identified with column called "Is Current" and we also have the date this data was extracted.

I would like to have a column which identifies if this milestone has changed and if so, what is the current value compared to the last.

dswallow_0-1652351485182.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xiaotang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dswallow 

Thanks for reaching out to us.

You can try this, create the column below

Milestone changed and value = 
var _maxdate= CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Date]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[ID]=EARLIER('Table'[ID])))
var _predate= CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Date]),FILTER(ALL('Table'), 'Table'[Date]<_maxdate && 'Table'[ID]=EARLIER('Table'[ID])))
var _cur='Table'[Milestone]
var _pre= CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Milestone]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[ID]=EARLIER('Table'[ID]) && 'Table'[Date]= _predate))
return IF('Table'[Date]=_maxdate,IF(_cur=_pre,"No change", "Changed, pre="&_pre&", cur="& _cur))

result

vxiaotang_0-1652695471682.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Tang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-xiaotang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dswallow 

Thanks for reaching out to us.

You can try this, create the column below

var _maxdate= CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Date]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[ID]=EARLIER('Table'[ID])))
var _predate= CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Date]),FILTER(ALL('Table'), 'Table'[Date]<_maxdate && 'Table'[ID]=EARLIER('Table'[ID])))
var _pre= CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Milestone]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[ID]=EARLIER('Table'[ID]) && 'Table'[Date]= _predate))
return IF('Table'[Date]=_maxdate,IF(_cur=_pre,"No change", "Changed, pre="&_pre&", cur="& _cur))

result

vxiaotang_0-1652695471682.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Tang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello, is there a way to provide a second date value for the records that only have one date? possibly using a date table or DateNow(). or have the value of No Change when the record does not have 2 dates.

for the records with only one date, my result shows "Changed, Pre=,Cur=MyValue" I'm guessing it's showing Changed because it's comparing Pre(no value) to Cur(has a value).

otherwise it works perfect for my data, thanks

Use COALESCE to fill in a meaningful replacement for missing data.

Hello, thamks for the response. Where would I insert COALESCE ?

whereever your measure returns BLANK()

I just guessing here, but believe the blanks are in both variables that use EARLIER because there is only one date for the records that return blank, for example where would coalesce go 

CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Date]),FILTER(ALL('Table'), 'Table'[Date]<_maxdate && 'Table'[ID]=EARLIER('Table'[ID])))

do I wrap coalesce like COALESCE( CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Date]),FILTER(ALL('Table'), 'Table'[Date]<_maxdate && 'Table'[ID]=EARLIER('Table'[ID]))))

Thanks Ibendlin, COALESCE() worked like so,

COALESCE( CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Date]),FILTER(ALL('Table'), 'Table'[Date]<_maxdate && 'Table'[ID]=EARLIER('Table'[ID])))),'Table'[Date])

Perfect! Thank you very much 🙂 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please provide sanitized sample data that fully covers your issue. If you paste the data into a table in your post or use one of the file services it will be easier to assist you. Avoid posting screenshots of your source data if possible.

Please show the expected outcome based on the sample data you provided. Screenshots of the expected outcome are ok.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/m-p/1447523

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.