Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Element115
Power Participant
Power Participant

ISSUE::PBI DESKTOP::QUERY FOLDING TO LAKEHOUSE NOT WORKING

CONTEXT:

I have this table schema in a lakehouse:

Screenshot 2024-04-23 160609.jpg

PBI Desktop Version: 2.128.952.0 64-bit (April 2024)

ISSUE:

0__I am trying to group the Refresh dates in 15 min bins:

Screenshot 2024-04-23 155821.jpg

like so:

Screenshot 2024-04-23 155845.jpg

1__the visual I use is a matrix and looks like this before dropping the new field:

Screenshot 2024-04-23 155916.jpg

the data well looks like this:

Screenshot 2024-04-23 155901.jpg

2__after creating the group and dropping the new field into the matrix data well:

Screenshot 2024-04-23 161558.jpg

I get this error:

Screenshot 2024-04-23 161709.jpg

The matrix should look like this:

Screenshot 2024-04-23 161813.jpg

QUESTION:

Does this mean that the only way of achieving this binning/grouping would be to do it in Fabric with a DFg2 in order to avoid the query folding?  This could be an issue as currently I am using DB mirroring in a pipeline to ingest the data incrementally.  Not keen to switch it over to a DFg2 as it seems to be less efficient. But perhaps I am mistaken on the latter part. 

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Element115 , You should create a Bin in Lakehouse using Spark or DataflowGen2 (Using if else).  And should ensure a Direct lake connection.  This seems like using direct query and can have issues like that

Your assessment is incorrect. Apparently it is a transient bug and went away on its own as there are no error messages when I try binning a field from a LH table in DirectQuery mode.

@amitchandak Do you know whether query folding would work if I used a warehouse instead of a lakehouse?

Thanks for the quick response, but I can't use a DirectLake connection as this is a report developped and maintained with PBI Desktop, which supports data access only in Import, DirectQuery, or Dual mode. 

The issue I have is that the source has a binary column that needs to be transformed to  type text, which can be done in a DFg2 no problem.  But the thing is, I do all the initial ingest using a Copy data activity in a pipeline, and when you do this, the binary column is persisted in the LH as a binary column, same as the source.  

So if I were to later use a DFg2 to transform this colum to text, I will duplicate my data, once in the LH, and a second time in the default Fabric store because I would have enabled staging.

The only solution I see at this point is to not use the new mirroring capability of the pipeline artifact and instead ingest everything only through a DFg2 which would write to the LH the binary column as a text type, while at the same time binning the data.  This way no data duplication occurs.  

This means I would lose the new capability of the pipeline bulk copy and consume more CUs because of the additional DFg2.

Not optimal all this.

Or just create a view at the source and base64 encode that varbinary column to varchar(MAX).  Problem solved.  Although it still irks that you can't fold queries to a LH, or for that matter, that a LH can't handle type time.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.