Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Razorbx13
Post Patron
Post Patron

IBM DB2 Connections and Driver Limitations

Can someone help me answer a couple of questions on this connection in PowerBI Desktop and Service and Driver Limitations? 

1.  From Microsofts IBM Db2 Database Driver Documentation:  Microsoft IBM DB2 Driver does not support TLS.  So I am assuming that if I hit a DB2 database in the cloud I would have to open a port that does not use TLS and therefore the data cannot be encrypted and is unsecured during transport?

2.  From Microsofts IBM Db2 Database Driver Documentation: "Power Query Online only uses the Microsoft driver.  So does this mean that the PowerBI Service can only use the Microsoft Driver which in turn means it cannot use TLS and then all the data is unsecured during transport?

The reason I am asking is that I have secured data I need to access from both the desktop then publish to the service and refresh from the service.  And all the data needs to be transported securely.

2 REPLIES 2
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Razorbx13 ,

All data persisted by Power BI is encrypted by default using Microsoft-managed keys. Customer data stored in Azure SQL Databases is fully encrypted using Azure SQL's Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) technology. Customer data stored in Azure Blob storage is encrypted using Azure Storage Encryption .

All data requested and transmitted by Power BI is encrypted in transit using HTTPS (except when the data source chosen by the customer does not support HTTPS) to connect from the data source to the Power BI service. A secure connection is established with the data provider, and only once that connection is established will data traverse the network.

For power bi transmission security, you can check the Security white paper on the official website.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/whitepaper-powerbi-security

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

So, let me ask one more question.  If I use the IBM2 Driver, encryption will occur between the Desktop and the Source Cloud DB, and between the Service and the Source Cloud DB it will be encrypted, correct?  It is just that I will not be able to use Direct Query in both?  I am trying to avoid the use of Tableau.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.